All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
what to eat when you can't eat anything
      #369797 - 07/15/13 08:26 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

During this phase, are we able to add butter or jam to our white toast, white rice, or potato? Plain gluten free white toast and noodles are so yuck. How about adding some Coconut amino's or Braggs amino acids to noodles?
Thanks. I am NEVER IBS-D and don't know how to manage this side of the coin. My foods need to be gluten free, so can anyone give me suggestions? How about egg whites or fish? I know baked, skinless chicken is allowed...how about cooked carrots or parsnips? Or can they be roasted in coconut oil? Any other foods I can have as the more the better. I am really in need of weight gain. Thanks. I don't even know if this is IBS related as it has been six days of explosive D keeping me up all night every night too. It won't go away! sniff. Seeing an MD today...stupid gi has a long waiting list and won't take me as an emergency.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what to eat when you can't eat anything new
      #369798 - 07/15/13 10:03 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Most of your questions are answered on Heather's diet web pages:

Trigger foods
How to eat for IBS
Diet FAQ
Soluble fiber
Insoluble fiber

All dairy products are consider unsafe including butter.
All amino acids are safe
Egg whites and most fish are safe
Peeled cooked carrots are safe.
Peeled cooked parsnips are safe for some people.
Coconut oil should be treated like any other oil - although olive oil is better.

Have you tried reducing the amount of insoluble fiber you eat. I see you say you eat Chia seeds which are high in insoluble fiber. You might remove them from you diet for a while too.

Are you eating gluten free because you have been diagnosed with celiac disease?

It would be helpful if you would list the meals and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days. It might give us some clues for suggestions.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369801 - 07/15/13 10:36 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Syl, I know about Heather's diet. I have been a long time member but she not posting. I have the diet down pat. I am not asking about those foods on normal days. I want to know what is allowed during the
Breaking the cycle" phase when your experiencing debilitating symptoms. In this instance, it's diarrhea going on six days.

I know what foods are safe usually. Usually I can handle amino acids, chia seeds, vegan butter with NO dairy, some fat to my vegetables. I was asking about the "breaking the cycle" aloud foods and flavorings...like jam and vegan butter and amino acids and such.

I don't want to have to defend my gluten diet. It has been documented by more than one doctor because of gluten tolerance shown in my blood work.

#369803 - 07/15/13 10:44 AM
Roxstar

Reged: 02/12/12

I too am gluten sensitive but not coeliac. I had the colonoscopy and endoscopy.

Be careful about hidden dairy in gluten free foods like breads etc...Milk solids, whey and casein can be triggers also.

I would steer clear of all dairy including butter if you have IBS and you know it triggers it.

The links Syl provided have the best advice for diet when you are having a rought time of constant diarrohea.

Be careful though about the gluten thing. For example, my blood tests show a sensitivity to gluten yet I tolerate sourdough breads and plain pretzels very well as I am not a coeliac. The only way to diagnose coeliac for real is to have the colonsocpy and endosocpy. Blood work alone can not show it up for certain. It'd be a shame to be cutting foods out that might help stabilize you, just because they contain gluten. But if you know that gluten upsets you, of course just do what you can.

When I am having a bad attack of diarrohea I stick to plain foods like banana mashed on rice cakes. Plain breads. Dry safe cereals and if I can tolerate it a little oat milk or rice milk. Plain white rice with a little sugar and warm oar/rice milk can be nice too.

Edited by Roxstar (07/15/13 10:49 AM)

#369804 - 07/15/13 11:56 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Break the cycle "stick to foods like plain white rice, plain instant oatmeal, cream of rice cereal, dry corn or oat or rice cereals, pasta, white breads or toast, peeled potatoes, etc."

And then "After a few days, you should be feeling much better, and your gut will have stabilized. Start carefully expanding your diet - the recipes for zucchini, banana, pumpkin breads work well here, and so does the jok rice porridge soup. Begin to incorporate insoluble fiber foods - carefully! - by blending fresh fruit with soy or rice milk into smoothies, and blending cooked veggies into soups or pasta sauces. Have the smoothie with rice cereal or oatmeal, and the soup with rice or polenta. Try a bit of grilled fish or skinless chicken breast with your pasta/rice. Safe treats are the recipes for vanilla or chocolate puddings, peppermint fudge cake, banana cream pie. Keep your fat content very low and be extra careful with insoluble fiber. As you stay stable, you can expand to all the other IBS recipes, and just follow the general guidelines (still low fat, no triggers, careful with insoluble fiber) but you'll be back to a healthy diet overall and not just plain soluble fiber. "

If the jams contain high fructose corn syrup or they contain seeds and pulp the it best to avoid them until you are stable. Perhaps homemade jelly or a jelly containing only sugar should be safe. Vegan butter contains fat so exercise caution particularly when doing break the cycle.

Amino acids are not foods but food constituents. Amino acids are not known to exacerbate IBS symptoms. Most of them are digested quite easily.

It would be helpful if you list the foods and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days.

Unfortunately, there isn't a reliable blood test for gluten sensitivity. Even the blood test for celiac disease needs to be confirmed with a endoscopy because it too is not 100% reliable either.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2093 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2697

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review