Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
The brain-gut drama
      #369729 - 07/08/13 06:57 AM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Hi There,

Here a question about the stress part of ibs.
When I am going away after diner I often have problems leaving.
I have to go to the toilet 10 times.. I am totally stressed out and starting to become affraid to go out after diner.

I try to go out to the appointments I made and 99% I just go. But if I sometimes cancel an appointment and stay home, everything is okay again. I don't have to go to the toilet again and everything starts to get relaxed again.

I am busy with the hypno-cd's and I am sure this will work again later on, but is there someone who had the same and figured out what is the problem?

Will I eat too fast then? Because I cannot think of any other issue. Even when I go to my BF I have this problem.. and I am not stressed out then, or well.. I am happy to go, so positively stressed.

It's hard to explain to my husband that I know it's in the mind, but in the meantime it's also real D or pain at that moment. Because I know it will be fine at the end I just keep on living my life the way I want but sometimes.. I want to sneak away when I have to go out after diner and then I say to my self... I will never go out after diner again..

Saskia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The brain-gut drama new
      #369742 - 07/08/13 08:44 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I have the same problem when I go traveling. Even the thought that I'm going away can trigger my anxiety, which triggers the D. I think it's a learned habit, and can be unlearned.

Try to be aware of what you are thinking, and challenge any dysfunctional thoughts. For instance, if you have plans to go out after dinner, and it triggers your D, ask yourself what you were thinking. For me, I might think, "If I go away from home overnight I will have D and I'll get really weak and won't have any fun."

Then challenge the thought. "While it might be true that in the past I've had D when traveling away from home, that doesn't mean it needs to happen every time. If I relax, stay in the moment, eat safe foods, and replace my negative thoughts with positive thoughts, I could very well have fun. Even if I get D, it will pass."

Here's what I'm working on: instead of "owning" the idea that I'm unwell, I try to "own" health through my thoughts and actions. The mind and body are connected. I find that when I focus on things that I love and that I'm grateful for, it takes my body a day or two to catch up and feel better. It takes a lot of work because we have over 6000 thoughts a day. If many of them are fearful and anxious, then we're sending unhealthy messages to the cells of our body. So if you find yourself feeling anxious about going out, you might try to replace those anxious thoughts with positive ones.

#369743 - 07/08/13 11:50 PM
Sassie

It's so nice to find here people with the same problem. Well it's not nice you have the problem ofcourse, but it gives the feeling you're not alone in this.

When I go away after diner but don't have arranged it befor, most of the times I have no problem, but when I went to classes for like 16 evenings around 19.00 till 21.00 it was dramatic every evening.. and the most stupid thing is, I knever had problems when I was in the classroom. Just thinking about what might happen just gave me the attacks, just like you said.

I was thinking about my bestfriend, well I have to confess that maybe I am worried for they have 1 toilet in the house. Sometimes it gives me a problem when we are with the 4 of us in the house.

I just keep on telling myself that there will be no problem, but it is so hard to reschedule your mindset. At the moment I am listening to the cd's of Michael Mahony again. And yes, it is relaxing and I know it will be better after a few weeks.

I started the diet. Well, half, because I will not throw things away but I will buy the safe foods after the other food is gone. So I do now have the soy milk, sordoughbread, frenchbread or bagels. For lunch I have no red meat on the sandwich but safe foods. I skip the coffee and will have fennel or pepermint teas and lots of water. Tonight we will eat a pasta with sauce of the EFI-book.

Every day I bike for about 45 minutes and I run 3 times a week for about 30 minutes.
Perhaps the changes of foods will also give my mind a rest.

Saskia

#369746 - 07/09/13 07:12 AM
Roxstar

Reged: 02/12/12

Wow your original post could have been written by me.

I want it to stop so badly!

#369747 - 07/09/13 10:12 AM
Sassie

Do you use the hypnotic cd's ofMichael Mahony? I do and it does help. It's Relaxing to listen to it. But it takes time. Sometimes it's hard to cope with the D attacks I think.

Saskia

#369748 - 07/09/13 01:18 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

What you mention is a very real part of IBS - and the brain-gut connection is something that can go beyond the help of diets, supplements, etc. You can be doing everything 'right' diet-wise, and still the brain-gut thing clicks in.

This is because there is a 'tiny gut in the brain' that does not communicate properly with the brain, and there are connections made with thinking - if I leave the house - then worry of toilets nearby, being trapped in the car, etc. kick in. The hypno addresses these things specifically - but there is a catch to it - By reading, writing, researching and thinking about IBS all the time, you are actually delaying any progress the sessions may be making - I know - I did this all the time - and I also know how hard it is not to think about IBS when it consumes your whole life. But, if it is possible - while doint the sessions, try to refrain from posting, etc. You may want to check out the brain-gut video on healthyaudio.com which explains this cycle and how hypnotherapy works to eliminate it.

The encouraging thing about this is that most people who do the sessions (even if it is several times) do find that eventually, this brain-gut drama goes away! I communicate with many IBS patients who have reported just that - there are many success stories - so you can definitely have hope.
You can also get support along the way if you need it -

I know for myself, I was so incapacitated, I was nearly house-bound, and I raised my two kids behind the bathroom door - when they were little, they were in there with me - I would bring books, toys, in there - it was awful for them, and for me... I would be doubled over in pain during their dentist, doctor appointments, all the 'normal' routine errands, etc. leaving carts in the store and rushing home - so I know all too well what you are talking about...

So please, do not give up with the sessions, but try to not bring IBS into your thoughts if you can avoid it - again - I know it is hard - but it will help you get better quicker...

There is hope and just know that many people have gone before you and beat this thing with Michael's CDs - they are even used in a gastro hospital in London - so have faith.

If you need support regarding the program, feel free to ask me, or go to the contact page on the website listed in the booklet - always happy to help...

Take care and all the best to you -

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#369749 - 07/09/13 02:10 PM
Sassie

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for your post. I understand I should not read about ibs at the moment. But for the diet I need some support. Or should it be wise to do one at the time, first cd's and after those 100 days the ibs diet if still needed? I guess it's hard to change diet and not look into the ibs story.

At the moment I've got headaches because of skipping the coffee.. but wel, just keep on going strong with the teas and it will be gone soon. I will go to sleep, look tommorrow once again for the day and then probably following your advice not too look into anymore. It makes sense to me. Thanks!

Saskia

#369750 - 07/09/13 06:33 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hi Saskia -

A little hint - try weaning yourself off the coffee by just diluting it more and more over a few days and/or having it less often, rather than stopping it cold turkey (altogether) That will help you with the headaches - no use suffering double.

If you would like, you can contact me via:
healthyaudio - at - live - dot- com for any support regarding the hypnotherapy without having to go thru the boards. I am in direct contact with Michael if you have any questions or concerns along the way. Take care and keep up the hope and encouragement!

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#369751 - 07/09/13 11:49 PM
Sassie

Thanks for your advice. I will get in touch as I do have a few small questions. I also will stop searching/looking/talking about IBS and try to see EFI just as a normal book. I will keep on trying recipes of the book, I start to like it to find out what is 'safe' and nice for diner and for on holidays and so on Thanks again, this week I will send you an email.

Saskia

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2387 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10035

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review