All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need support for ongoing D episodes
      #369690 - 07/04/13 10:43 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

We're having a heat wave, which triggered my D. It's cooling down now, but after 2 days of feeling ok the D is back. This is the third time in two weeks. I'm feeling such despair! I'm taking the Acacia, the peppermint oil caps, eating safe foods (well, I had a bit of coconut milk chocolate ice cream last night - could that be the problem?). I'm meditating and listening to the hypnosis CDs and arrgh! I'm smack dab back in the middle of another episode of cramps and D and worry. Yesterday I felt such a wave of loneliness...could that have triggered this? Any tips, mental tricks, advice is most appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need support for ongoing D episodes new
      #369692 - 07/04/13 12:14 PM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

I have not really tips, but do you drink fennel or peppermint tea? Don't drink (too) cold drinks. For me that's a big trigger. I hope you're soon feeling better.
Saskia

#369696 - 07/04/13 01:51 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hi Digby - been there too -

One of the conundrums (did I spell that right?) with IBS and using hypnotherapy, is that it works best if you do not read, write or research about it - however, I know how hard that is because that's all I did to try to find solutions for the IBS... but if you can avoid researching, it may help ease the worry and the severity/frequency of attacks.

you can get some support regarding the hypnotherapy either thru the healthyaudio contact page or by emailing: ' healthyaudio -at- live -dot- com ' - or calling 877-898-2539 and they can try to help you from getting discouraged and feeling lonely -

The fennel and peppermint teas are very helpful too - I doubt the ice cream 'caused' it - I was down to crackers and water at one point years ago, and I begged my gastro to put me on IV nutrition!! - But I got D no matter what I did or did not eat - So be patient with yourself and know that you can beat this... If you wish, take a peek at my journey below if you have not done so before for encouragement- but then dont read much more if you can take a break! LOL

The program works directly with helping with that worry-anxiety brain-gut connection and so many people have been helped with it, so do be encouraged.

All the best to you...

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Thanks Marilyn new
      #369697 - 07/04/13 09:30 PM
Digby

It was encouraging to read your post about your journey. Thanks for sharing that. I've used the CDs in the past, maybe three times, spaced over a period of time, so I know they do help. And then I stopped eating gluten and my symptoms got much better. However, I still get triggered by anxiety or heat or lack of sleep, and so I dug out the CDs again. Since you had success after such a severe case, that gives me hope in getting well again.
I'll check into the support options too.

#369698 - 07/04/13 09:31 PM
Digby

Good tip about the cold drinks. Yes, I'm drinking the peppermint tea.

#369708 - 07/06/13 10:43 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Check the first three links in my signature for a clinically test diet for managing IBS symptoms that many of us use in conjunction with Heather's diet. It is specifically designed to reduce gas, bloating and cramps.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369718 - 07/07/13 10:32 AM
Digby

THanks Syl. What do vegetarians eat for protein on this diet other than tofu?

Question for Marilyn new
      #369719 - 07/07/13 10:34 AM
Digby

I'm on my first week of listening to the CDs and still having D. Did it take all three times of listening to the CDs for you to get relief from your D?

#369721 - 07/07/13 10:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Beside tofu there is egg whites if you eat them. If glactans turn out not to be problem for you then beans is another good source of protein. You may find these posts helpful

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/fodmaps-free-veg-elise-cobb/1111815108?ean=2940033282753

http://www.ibsfree.net/ibsfree_at_last/2011/06/fodmaps-for-vegetarians.html

NOTE: The FODMAP vegetarian diet does not follow Heather's no dairy rule. It assumes no lactose dairy foods like hard cheese are usually ok. Clinical studies have shown that not all diary products trigger IBS in everyone even if you are lactose intolerant. Some dairy products contain little if any lactose.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Question for Marilyn new
      #369722 - 07/07/13 01:21 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Yes, it took me all three times - but for many people it takes less time - for some, it may take more - especially if there is a lot of stress/worry/anxiety going on in the person's life - whether it is from the IBS or other things - everyone is different and has their own time frame for their healing journey.

But be encouraged that I did see relief - in fact, all of my gastroenterologists, internal med physicians, (and there were many) said I had one of the worst cases of IBS - I consulted with Michael constantly as I was at the end of my rope - with attacks almost daily lasting for hours in intense pain...

For me, it was not strictly about 'food' but the reaction to eating - over time, almost anything would trigger an attack. You read my journey - the reason I am still on message boards is because I WAS one of the worst IBS cases ever and I want to give hope to sufferers. Most of the folks that have used the hypnotherapy program are now off the support boards and on with their lives, and most were not as severe as I was - I am in contact with quite a few past users who now are doing great - the few who have had extra difficulty over the years, such as yourself, come to us for personal support and the vast majority, then finally find relief.

The fact that the program did provide you with some help in the past, is a good indicator that it still may be helpful for you.

If you have IBS only, and no other health concerns, then, yes, there is still a good chance that the hypnotherapy will still be able to help you. Remember, I cut out almost all food - I was admitted into the hospital with only having two crackers and water, and having severe IBS. They did a barium X-ray after giving me some donnatel - my gastro said it was the fastest transit time he ever saw - yet the DX was still IBS... I was put on IV nutrion, nothing by mouth except for ice chips - still had D, and the DX was still 'only' IBS...

You mention worry and lonliness - I know this all too well - and I also know that having IBS attacks makes you think about it, and having it makes you research about it, and this creates a cycle of reinforcing the condition. The program encorporates these things into the protocol to help you with the brain-gut connection, so that anything else you are doing for your IBS can be fully integrated - or in some cases, withdrawn or reduced (meds, diet, etc.)

Of course, there are those for whom hypnotherapy of any kind is not their way forward - about 25% or so of the population do not respond well - but 75% do... so the odds are in your favor - especially since you mention you did see some help. And for those that use this program, we have had a success rate of around 92% - and that is usually after every other method has been tried with little or no success. So that is huge.

Please do consider emailing or call for more personalized support - you are not alone and there IS hope...

All the best to you...

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 553 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5077

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review