All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Coconut Oil?
      #369306 - 03/03/13 06:35 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Just read an article saying Coconut Oil stands out as today's amazing superfood...more specifically this is what they say about IBS:

"For digestion, its internal use is as a cooking oil. It improves the digestive system, prevents various digestive related problems including irritable bowel syndrome, the saturated fats, with their anti-microbial properties, help in dealing with bacteria, fungi, and parasites that cause indigestion, and it helps in the absorption of other nutrients like vitamins, minerals and amino acids."

Just wondering any thoughts???

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/039320_coconut_oil_superfood_sulfur.html#ixzz2MUGtLVMd

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Coconut Oil? new
      #369307 - 03/03/13 09:36 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Coconut oil is known to have some unique health benefit but it is still an oil which can cause IBS symptoms like any other oil/fat.

You can read more about it at the NYU Langone Medical Center web site and in this Harvard Medical Center newsletter.

However on the web site you provided the link to it says

"It improves the digestive system, prevents various digestive related problems including irritable bowel syndrome ....."

There is no evidence that coconut oil or any other food product can prevent IBS. This is just misleading. IBS is not caused by fungi or parasites and no particular bacteria, if any, has been identified as the cause.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369317 - 03/07/13 10:18 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I use coconut oil on my roasted vegetables. Tastes good, but not sure it helps my IBS. Doesn't hurt! And adds a yummy coconut taste. I would try it if I were you. It's very healthy for you!

#369366 - 03/20/13 03:35 PM
RedTearsBlackWings

Reged: 12/31/12

I'm not sure if coconut oil has the same cholesterol content as coconut milk does but it's something you should check on if you've got to be watching it. I only know the milk is high in cholesterol because I need to watch mine, so I just stay away from coconut anything.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2411

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review