All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
update on fodmap
      #368998 - 01/10/13 01:19 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Still no relief or difference. Pain is still horrible. What do I do? Continue? Maybe I just need EFI and hypnosis.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: update on fodmap new
      #368999 - 01/10/13 04:14 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Perhaps your diet contains too much insoluble fiber from things like brown rice and unpeeled egg plant. Beside reducing FODMAPs you need to follow Heather advice regarding soluble and insoluble fiber.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369000 - 01/10/13 04:39 PM
Cyndy

i don't eat brown rice or the peel on the eggplant. I haven't even eaten the eggplant. I am eating EFI and FODMAP, syl.

#369002 - 01/10/13 04:59 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Perhaps it might be useful to post the meals and snacks you have eaten over the past 2-3 days. It might give us some clues. It definitely can't hurt and maybe quit beneficial to try the hypnosis CD.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369006 - 01/10/13 06:06 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

You definitely need hypnosis or some other kind of relaxation. You are wired, girl. And you need to give a specific diet plan time to work, whatever that plan may be.

I'm trying new
      #369007 - 01/10/13 06:11 PM
Cyndy

I need support not criticism. I don't need condescending replies on here too!

Re: I'm trying new
      #369008 - 01/10/13 06:13 PM
Gerikat

Cyndy, you need to be told the truth. Give the FODMAPS or Heather's plan or both time to work. It is never a quick fix. And find some way to calm down. THIS WILL help your pain! Sorry but this is the truth.

#369009 - 01/11/13 10:12 AM
Cyndy

I read your post wrong. I thought you said "your weird girl". It's hard to calm down when the pain and trying to figure out diets to get rid of it is all you think about all day, ,every day, because you are so desperate for relief and the gi doctor just tells you "it's all in your head..and offers no suggestions on diet, meds, supplements...nothing.

#369011 - 01/11/13 03:35 PM
Gerikat

Exactly my point. The reason you can't calm the pain down is you are so focused on it and are not doing anything to relieve this anxiety.

Here is what you can try if you would like to check it out. There is a website called Yogaglo. If you can spare $18 per month, it is WELL worth it. You can get a trial membership I believe.

On this site you have every style of yoga, relaxation, breathing techniques, meditation, stretching, etc. The breath is very important in calming the mind and body. You have drop down menus which allow you to chose from teacher, duration, style, and level. You choose daily or more often what you want to do that day. They also have a blog you can read to help you, that is very informative. This site is wonderful and well worth the $18 per month.

Cyndy, check it out. I think you would greatly benefit from it. Choose what you like and leave the rest. It is simple and easy and it will help you, but give it time. As with your eating, just give it time.

I know you think I was being mean,but I am trying to make you see that how you are reacting to IBS is not helping you. You have to take the steps, and give them a chance to work. It really is an individual battle. All we can do is give you some tools to work with. Ya know, sometimes docs are not much help, because they just don't get it. You may have to take your health and well-being into your own hands.

#369012 - 01/11/13 04:47 PM
Cyndy

do you have a recommendation on where to start? I only saw yoga...not the relaxation, breathing,meditation, etc. Who do you use and what do you do on there. It's sort of confusing to know where to start on that. Thanks.

Gerikat new
      #369014 - 01/11/13 05:10 PM
Cyndy

Do you eat whatever you want or do you follow the EFI diet? I know you had good success with the hypno cd's. Can yu eat whatever yu want now?

You onoe posted that I should email you and you could help me with gluten intolerance info because of your mom. You believe you have to eat gluten free if you have gluten antibodies but not celiac? I'll try emailing you again. Thanks

Re: Gerikat new
      #369016 - 01/11/13 05:19 PM
Gerikat

Yes, I do eat whatever I want. However, it is very healthy. I just don't eat junk. Yes, too to the fact that the hypnos helped me tremendously.

It has been a long and hard road with Mom, but she is adapting. I have not been tested, but should be. I just haven't had the time. The doc at University of MD was a great source of updated, current info on celiac and also sensitivity. And I don't say that about many docs.

Cyndy, I will check the email.

#369017 - 01/11/13 05:21 PM
Cyndy

does your mom have celiac or gluten antibodies?
You never eat cookies or sweets or snack type foods?

what do you suggest to do on the yoga board?

#369018 - 01/11/13 05:31 PM
Cyndy

okay, I just emailed you

#369019 - 01/11/13 05:42 PM
Gerikat

Mom has celiac. It was not dx'd till very late in her life. Much damage has already been done, but we do our best for her.

No, I don't eat processed food at all. Too many additives and names I cannot pronounce. If I have sweets it is a small, good quality piece of dark chocolate. I have green smoothies that taste like a blueberry or banana milkshake daily. If I go into the office, I pack a bag of snacks I like and a light, small lunch. I eat about 5-6 small meals a day. I still do bloat on occasion, mainly when I am anxious or stressed, and the small meals help. I make my own muffins that I may have for breakfast. I eat vegetarian so you know what that's about.

If I am out and unprepared and famished, then I will buy something I think will do the least damage. As when Mom was rushed to the hospital at 2am in the morning, of course I was not prepared. I just did the best I could in the hospital cafeteria.

What I think you need to do is stick with an eating plan for a period of time to see if it is helping you or not. Also, I would keep a food diary.

#369020 - 01/11/13 05:57 PM
Cyndy

what is in your bag of snacks, if no processed foods? What is considered a processed food?

What do you eat all day? And what is a green smoothie? Or is that recipe posted someplace already?

I don't have celiac so maybe my gluten antibodies don't mean I need to eat gluten. I don't know.

I did email you. -nt new
      #369021 - 01/11/13 05:58 PM
Cyndy

processed foods new
      #369022 - 01/11/13 06:11 PM
Cyndy

you would not eat anything on this list? web page

#369023 - 01/11/13 06:20 PM
Gerikat

Calm down a little bit here. My bag of snacks can include a homemade muffin, a veggie sandwich in a pita pocket, a thermos of homemade soup, sourdough bread with jam, nuts/seeds, etc. I mix it up every day, but most days I work from home so I can make what I want.

I guess when you think about it, most foods are processed somewhat, unless they come straight from the ground into your mouth. I don't eat foods with ingredients a mile long with names I cannot pronounce. I keep it very fresh.

I posted about the green smoothie before. I usually have some kind of greens, a banana, blueberries, sometimes flax seed, and rice milk. I use a NutriBullet, so it is finely ground up almost to a juice. It is very digestible.

Did you speak to your doc about the celiac? That would be a place to start.

Re: processed foods new
      #369024 - 01/11/13 06:21 PM
Gerikat

I can't open that webpage?

Re: processed foods new
      #369025 - 01/11/13 06:38 PM
Cyndy

http://www.getting-started-with-healthy-eating.com/list-of-processed-foods.html

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1074 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9050

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review