All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-C vs IBS-D
      #368910 - 01/02/13 06:12 AM
mam6767

Reged: 11/29/12

What are the major differences in eating with IBS-C vs IBS-D. Is coffee a serious trigger in both or more so in IBS-D? I have IBS-C and am still making the transition from Rxs to Tummy fiber and got in trouble the last couple of days and had to take lax to get moving again after 2 days. Don't know what happened or what I ate to trigger that. Thought maybe I tried to get off the glycol too soon. I don't know. I'm completely dairy free and using recipes in IBS book. Oyster crackers are the only thing I ate different and only 18 of them. Can it possible that hurt me? I've been this way all my life so I know it's going to take awhile to get straightened out. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-C vs IBS-D new
      #368924 - 01/02/13 10:40 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Heather's diet is essentially the same for both IBS-C and IBS-D...but IBS-C need more Insoluble fiber, usually. Coffee is off limits to everyone!! Please don't drink it at all!

The oyster crackers should be very safe...so doubt your problem was from them. It might be that your level of tummy fiber is just too low right now (hopefully you are starting low and increasing slowly). I would not go off your glycol until you have found a greater level of tummy fiber.

Personally, the tummy fiber made me worse and I continue to take Mirilax instead of any fiber supplement. My body just won't tolerate the fiber. I might try it again...but in the past, I have had bad luck with all brands.

Re: IBS-C vs IBS-D new
      #368942 - 01/02/13 12:43 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Caffeine is a GI stimulant that can cause bowel spasms producing either C or D.

A common misconception is the IBS-C is successfully managed by increasing insoluble fiber. Clinical research over the past 20 years has shown that in many individuals C gets worse. However, increasing soluble fiber can be beneficial for both IBS-C and IBS-D.

Osyter crackers should be safe but check the ingredients for unsafe things like high fructose corn syrup.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1969 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1529

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review