All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
finding a dietician in my area that knows about fodmap
      #368860 - 12/29/12 05:29 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

does anyone know of a site that lists dieticians that are knowledgable about the fodmap diet who are located in illinois? Please?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: finding a dietician in my area that knows about fodmap new
      #368861 - 12/29/12 05:41 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

You're confusing me a bit. I thought you posted that you were upset and confused by the conflicting information being given out here on the boards.

You said FODMAP was confusing and conflicting with Heather's diet, yet you are asking for more help with it? I remember that post and you were really upset. So, I am a bit confused myself?

#368862 - 12/29/12 05:44 PM
Cyndy

I have read so many articles that show scientific evidence that a low fodmap diet helps IBS that I have decided I need to try it. But it is too confusing for me, so I would like the help of a dietician to guide me through it.

I am not going to be promoting it on this website...but I am going to try it...I'm desperate for relief.

#368863 - 12/29/12 05:46 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I see, well good luck with that!

Dietitians in Illinois new
      #368865 - 12/30/12 04:53 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Patsy Catsos has prepared a list of dietitians that know the FODMAP diet. You can get the list in pdf format from here. It gives the names a couple of dietitians in Illinois. If they are not close to you then phone them and ask if they know of someone in your area.

Or you contact the The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in Chicago at 800-877-1600. One of their members, Wendy Marcason, wrote an article titled What is the FODMAP diet? that was published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. You can also contact the Academy by sending an e-mail to knowledge@eatright.org.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Dietitians in Illinois new
      #368866 - 12/30/12 10:08 AM
Cyndy

I did try Patsy's website link last night and there are no dieticians in my area. Wendy Marcason is not near me at all. The other links might help,since nobody on the board is willing to help. It's a sign I shouldn't get strung into another diet since they tend to overwhelm me and overtake my life.

Other sources of information new
      #368867 - 12/30/12 10:59 AM
Syl

You could buy either Dr. Shepherd book or Catsos's book IBS- Free at Last.

Both books have detailed instructions on how to follow the FODMAP diet with recipes. Shepherd's book is the most reliable as it was her and Dr. Gibson who developed the diet.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Other sources of information new
      #368868 - 12/30/12 11:06 AM
Cyndy

her low fodmap diet book says it is not for use outside of Australia.

It would be so much easier if you would just answer my questions about the foods i listed. Those are the ones I can't find info on....especially nuts and nut butters and almond milks and yogurts.

#368869 - 12/30/12 11:34 AM
Syl

In the article from the first link in my signature

"Choose nuts and seeds low in FODMAPs such as walnuts, almonds, peanuts, pecans, pine nuts, macadamia nuts, and sesame seeds. Avoid FODMAP-rich pistachios".

NOTE: Pure nut butter is made from ground nuts or seeds. Pure nut milk such as almond milk is made from ground almonds, water and a small amount of oil.

"Select lactose-free dairy foods such as hard cheeses, including Parmesan, cheddar, and Swiss, and Green Valley Lactose-Free Yogurt and Lactose-Free Kefir Milk."

HOWEVER, you have to read the label closely to make sure it does not contain other IBS unfriendly ingredients!

Please read the information I direct you to closely before asking follow up questions.

--------------------

#368871 - 12/30/12 02:19 PM
Cyndy

thank you. I will try. I'm overwhelmed with the differing advice. For instance, in this post, by Patsy Castso who wrote "IBS Free at Last" she says you can eventually add soy and beans and peas back into your diet. She also says about ten raisins at a serving is okay. It's very confusing, as I thought she was one of the top rds for the fodmap diet web page

#368873 - 12/30/12 02:44 PM
Syl

What Patsy Catsos said is true.

First you remove all FODMAPs from each of the five groups for a period of time.

And then you slowly reintroduce foods from each group to find out how sensitive you are to each one.

For example, some people have no problems with foods with excess fructose while other like myself find these foods problematic. I am highly sensitive to 4 of the five groups.

This is why you must read the material I directed you to closely if you wish to figure out which foods you can re-introduce.

--------------------

#368876 - 12/30/12 03:11 PM
Cyndy

exactly which material you directed me to are you referring to? The first three links in your signature?

Oh, I looked at the austrailian cookbooks by that famous lady (name is a blank right now...shepard something) and it's all in metric...so that is confusing and a no go for me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2191 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9535

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review