All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Digestive Enzymes stories
      #368588 - 11/17/12 11:57 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Good or bad and the brand would be so appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Digestive Enzymes stories new
      #368646 - 11/25/12 08:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Some digestive enzymes help while others are useless. There isn't a simple answer

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368654 - 11/25/12 12:27 PM
Cyndy

so, which brands work?

#368660 - 11/25/12 01:22 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

A digestive enzyme is a protein helps breakdown food. For example the enzyme papian found in papaya breaks down meat tissue. The digestive enzyme lactase breaks down the sugar lactose found in milk.

Digestive enzyme supplements usually contain a number of enzymes. Unfortunately many enzymes cannot survive in the stomach acid to pass through to the small intestine so they can do their work. Also frequently they contain enzymes that are not useful for humans.

Generally speaking the body is capable of producing an adequate amount of all the enzymes it needs to digest the food we eat. Unless of course a person has a medical condition known produce an enzyme deficiency.

Supplement brands that contain a lot of different enzymes may be no more effective than a brand that contains just a few enzymes.

Some people claim they are useful while others find no benefit or they make IBS symptoms worse. You have to experiment to see what works for you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368661 - 11/25/12 01:24 PM
Cyndy

that seems to be the answer with everythng pertaining to this IBS...try it and see.I so wish IBS had a definite safe unsafe list. Would make my stress level decrease 1000%

#368664 - 11/25/12 01:40 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

Oh yeah I totally agree! The answer to everything is try it, good luck buy a helmet and soldier on, I'm so tired of the lack of concrete info, and it's not the boards fault it's IBS I'd say the universals are most of us can eat white rice and. Potatoes and then it's individual, it's how I ended up with Ed, I went down to rice and potatoes for awhile cause I was afraid of everything else, happy to be a little better now

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Are we twins? new
      #368665 - 11/25/12 01:55 PM
Cyndy

I have an ED too!! Afraid all the foods will hurt me. Don't know what to eat or drink. Can't get the stupid FODMAP bad foods out of my head, plus all the EFI bad foods, plus all the "safe" foods are individual too. What can I eat/drink? I'm starving to death and still hurting and so anxiou and stessed all day over food and supplements and drinks. And I am still in so much pain and not pooping right.

Re: Are we twins? new
      #368671 - 11/25/12 02:41 PM
Dizzy

It's nice to not be alone what are you eating? Can you do proteins I'm a protein wuss? I eat really tiney amounts fairly often seems to help have you tried that

--------------------

#368672 - 11/25/12 02:45 PM
Cyndy

I do try to eat full amounts of protien for lunch, dinner and at least one snack.Sometimes a second snack,although I haven't been gettng the second snack in lately.Believe it or not, my fear of food gets worse over the years of being on this diet instead of less. Protiens are so important and healing, especially if you have an ED. Why are you afraid of them? They don't have any tricky fiber in them or whole grain.

#368675 - 11/25/12 03:16 PM
Dizzy

Every time I add in let's say chicken breast( baked no skin boneless no seasoning) I have d, same with tiney amounts of can tuna in water, same with poached steamed fish I'd have 2 to 3 ounces of protein and 1/2 cup white rice, then gas bloating and misery, I haven't had animal protein now in a year, and I read on a vegan board that people stop making the enzyme to digest so I'm scared to even try

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1741 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5675

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review