All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: yep, that's exactly what I have new
      #368516 - 11/13/12 04:40 PM
bclark

Reged: 07/29/11
Loc: New England

Thank you for your concern Cyndy. I guess we are all in this together.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I HURT,,,,can anyone help? new
      #368517 - 11/14/12 07:09 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Is there any other way to rectify this problem without using an SFS? I hurt so badly...full of stool, but only getting water and a small amount of stool out.

Re: I HURT,,,,can anyone help? new
      #368518 - 11/14/12 07:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It would be helpful if you could list the foods and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days. It will give us clues for suggestions to decrease you symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368519 - 11/14/12 09:00 AM
Cyndy

Nothing different than usual. For breakfast: cream of rice with cooked strawberries or Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty cereal with cooked papaya...Lunch: Sometimes nothing other days gluten free brown rice tortilla with boars head turkey and some jarred cooked red peppers with a smidge of lettuce, Snack: My gluten free granola bars that Heather said were safe. Dinner: low fat tuna, baked potato with skin, spinach and rice cheese or dairy free/gluten free lasagna or chicken with brown rice and green beans. Snack: gluten free cinammon raisin toast with some peanut butter. Lots of herbal tea, maybe a piece of gum, That's about it. I take mirilax and magnesium. All that comes out is water with a little loose stool. I feel like I have to "go" all the time, incomplete bms, full of stool, never a formed stool. I'm really hurting. Feeling desperate and unsafe.

#368520 - 11/14/12 10:01 AM
Syl

You might try and reduce the amount of insoluble fiber you have in your diet. At the moment there appears to be a fairly high amount of insoluble fiber in your diet. This can definitely cause bowel spasms and pain.

For example Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty contains brown rice and corn. It contains 4 grams of fiber mostly insoluble per 42 gram serving or nearly 10% fiber by weight. Perhaps you might try rice cereal or gluten free oatmeal.

Try white rice tortillas instead of brown rice tortillas. And you might replace the brown rice for supper with use white rice or perhaps 1/2 and 1/2.

You might try Heather's Break the Cycle for a few days until things settle down.

I may have asked this before. Have you been diagnosed with Celiac disease?

Good luck

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: I HURT,,,,can anyone help?
      #368521 - 11/14/12 10:14 AM
Cyndy

thank you so much for your reply, Syl. I am in such desperate need of help. Um, I eat the bob's mighty tasty cereal with papaya (sf) so isn't that okay? Yesterday I had the rice cereal and today is the day I am hurting? They don't make (or I can't find) white rice tortillas. What about corn tortillas? Is that better? Honestly, I can't find white rice tortillas. I eat frozen foods, and they are made with brown rice...thus the brown rice.

Since I am full of stool, as verified by a ct scan, don't I need IF? Isn't the brown rice one of the safest whole grains we can eat?

i do not have celiac...I do have gluten antibodies in my bloodwork.

What about the lettuce and roasted red peppers on my sandwhich? I think all the hot rice cereals they have in the gluten free stores is made of brown rice too. Is that not safe either? I don't know what I would eat for breakfast if not.

Also, the gluten free granola bars have about 3 grams fiber, not sure if it is soluble or insoluble, but again, Heather thought they were okay. Not sure if she knew I was eating them alone.

Thanks for your help. My GI doc is out of the office all day and he won't answer my page.

Can yu give me a sample diet of what yu might eat? My breakfast is probably already ruined and all I have in the house is brown rice tortillas. I don't know. I don't think straight when I am in such pain.

#368522 - 11/14/12 11:37 AM
Syl

The colon is normally full of stool. As some leaves the body the new foods you ate fills it up. Did you doctor say a full colon was a problem?

While IF can resolve C for normal individuals it well known that it can also exacerbate IBS symptoms in IBS-C and IBS-D individuals.

While brown rice may be one of the safest it doesn't mean it safe for you. It is something you will have to experiment with. The best thing to do is back off eating so much IF and until you symptoms settle down and then slowly increase IF.

The amount of SF in a serving papaya is not enough to offset the high amount of IF Bob's in cereal. It is important remember that the symptoms you are experience today could have be caused by something you ate 24-48 hours earlier especially if you are predominately C.

Since you do not have celiac disease did your doctor tell you to eat gluten free or is that something you decided to try for yourself? Did you GI doc ever recommend that you have a endoscopy to confirm whether or not you have celiac disease? It is the gold standard test for the disease.

If your doctor did not tell you to eat gluten free then you breakfast choices increase signficantly. For example, oatmeal with banana and payaya with a sprinkle of brown sugar would be nice. Remember regular oatmeal contains equal amounts of insoluble and soluble fiber so if you add banana and papaya you are definitely having more soluble than insoluble fiber.

As for the lettuce and red peppers in sandwiches it would be a big problem for me. Red peppers I can eat if they are roasted and the skins are removed. If they are raw and/or the skin is not removed to reduce the insoluble fiber content then it would give me big problems.

It might really be helpful if you could confirm with your GI doctor that there is any reason to eat gluten free. If there isn't a reason then you alternatives increase dramatically and there are many safe foods you can eat.

--------------------

#368523 - 11/14/12 12:03 PM
Cyndy

The CT scan showed an abnormal amount of stool in me...a problem. Do you think my brown rice creamy hot cereal might be a problem too? That's all I see.

I had an endoscopy which came back normal. All three of my antibody tests were positive for gluten antibodies. It was suggested by my GI to eat gluten free. Another gi told me to eat whatever I wanted. My current gi I have only seen once and he hasn't addressed the issue yet...so I don't know if GF is required or not. I'm confused and hurting. Don't positive antibodies suggest a gf diet is required?

Oh, the red peppers are canned, so I assume they are peeled and cooked.

Can you post what you eat on a daily basis? I know you have probably done this before, but I can't find it in a search.

These are my afternoon snack http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=368225&Forum=All_Forums&Words=granola&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=368225&Search=true#Post368225

#368524 - 11/14/12 12:29 PM
Syl

If the colonoscopy biopsy was negative then generally speaking even though the antibodies are positive there is no celiac disease.

Yes - too much IF can cause constipation.

While the canned pepper are cooked there is no guarantee that the skins have been removed. You should be able to easily remove the skins if they exist.

My meals are simple and very very low in IF.

Breakfast - regular oatmeal with banana, sprinkle of brown sugar and three tablespoons of berry juice that I prepare myself from frozen berries using a juicer.

Lunch - a curry made of 6 peeled shrimp, 1/4 chicken breast, peel zucchinin, cooked peeled carrots, tomato paste, chicken stock and a small amount of curry powder for flavour served over white basmati rice.

Supper - varies but it is usually chicken, turkey, fish, or seafood with white rice, mashed potatoes, low fat oven fries or coucous and a serving of peeled boiled carrots and/or peel lightly fried zucchini.

I eat very simple, low IF and I follow the FODMAP diet too which dramatically improved my symptoms.

--------------------

#368525 - 11/14/12 12:35 PM
Cyndy

I know I don't have celiac disease, but don't people with positive gluten antibodies need to eat gf? I'm really confused on that one.

thank you for sharing your diet. I don't think it has enough IF overall for me. And not enough variety. I didn't think tomato paste was safe? Yu don't eat any type of bread either? or snacks? You must be IBS-D, right?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1564 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23352

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review