All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Vegetables?
      #368448 - 11/06/12 07:31 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Well cooked, peeled carrots are my 'go to' vegetable...most always can tolerate them...that being said, I don't do well with squash (butternut, acorn) or sweet potatoes. I've always thought they were all kind of the same or in the same category? Do they have more IF than carrots or is it just my body and what works for me?

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vegetables? new
      #368451 - 11/06/12 03:23 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have the same problem. Yes - they are quite a bit higher in insoluble fiber. My go to veggies are well cooked peeled carrots and zucchini as well as roasted peeled red peppers. I peel the peppers after I roast them. They can be frozen too.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368459 - 11/07/12 04:09 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

look at this link: http://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/file/ourservices/service_nutrition_fiber.pdf

I doubt anyone would only eat 1.2cup of sweetpotato, I believe one medium sized one is at least one cup. that's a lot of IF. stick with normal potatoes I say.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#368464 - 11/07/12 09:19 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Susie, have you read Heather book or her site? Sweet potato are just fine and very safe SF.I think you should educate yourself on Heather's diet guidelines before dishing out false information

#368465 - 11/07/12 09:45 AM
Syl

While sweet potatoes maybe fine for some people others have difficulty with it. I have tried to integrate sweet potatoes into my diet for a number of years. However, on each and every occasion it has trigger IBS problems. The only thing I can attribute it to is the higher insoluble fiber content in sweet potatoes compared to regular potatoes. Also, some times yams are sold here as sweet potatoes when they are not the same. Yams are more fibrous than sweet potatoes

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#368471 - 11/08/12 04:55 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

What an awful response. Heather's advice is in many places not scientific I have to say and it may work for her and many others as her IBS is not as acute as mine or Syl's or perhaps yours (if you have trouble with sweet potatoes, more than likely).

if you think that the world's foremost university (ie Harvard) is trumped by her claims, I think it's you who needs to educate yourself.

I have trouble from sweet potatoes and I only wanted to help, but please by all means continue to eat foods that Heather recommends even if Harvard suggests otherwise.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

This is Heather's site promoting Heather's diet new
      #368473 - 11/08/12 08:21 AM
Cyndy

If you think her diet is wrong, you should open up your own website and promote your own diet views. If you don't believe in Heather's diet, then why do you post on her site? I know you are trying to help people and I'm glad you have found relief, but you confuse people who come to Heather's website, which promotes the EFI diet, and then you tell them, "no, you need to follow this diet". Maybe that is one of the reasons so many people have left this site. They, like me, get very confused with all the differing and opposing answers on what is safe to eat and what is not. It's very confusing and for people who just want relief, it is terribly frustrating. People come here thinking they will finally find relief with Heather's diet, only to be told that Heather's diet is not the answer...you have to follow a totally different diet. It's terribly confusing and the sufferer does not know what to do or what to believe....so they leave in tears and frustration that they have once again found a dead end to any hope of finding answers.

I have read Heather's book and guidelines saying sweet potato and quinoa are safe, only to be told by you and Syl that they are not...totally against what Heather and her approach preach. I read your posts and I am told beans and lentils are deadly, only to read Heather's post that say "mashed with SF, they can be made safe and are necessary", same with tomato.

You confuse me...and I assume many other people. Again, I know your intention is to help, but perhaps you need to pay the money to open your own website and promote your diet views.

And not once have I seen an easy FODMAP list of what foods are safe and what foods should be avoided, much like the one Heather provides, which makes her diet so much easier to understand.

I just want to feel well. I will do whatever it takes to accomplish that...but the differing approaches and "rules and guidelines" make that impossible as it confuses me and others to no end.

And let's not forget the fructose scare new
      #368476 - 11/08/12 08:46 AM
Cyndy

I see this posted over and over by a few individuals. We (posters and readers) are just overwhelmed by differing guidelines. I know in Heather's book she offers sample diets at the end and she includes pears and apples in them. Yet, now we are suppose to not eat them? It's all so conflicting and confusing and we don't know what to do or what to believe. It's hard to know what to eat when it seems like everything hurts.

Re: This is Heather's site promoting Heather's diet new
      #368477 - 11/08/12 08:49 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

Thank gosh someone said it! When I started here 5 years ago I had heathers books I followed her diet, I got if not stable then the closest I'd ever been, then I went back to school, the stress flared my IBS, then right after school I got married and made a big move, I kept coming to the boards and seeing conflicting info and I got scared, so scared that I now have an eating disorder and subsist on white carbs, it's like every time I came to the board something else I ate was wrong, I'm trying to recover now I'm thinking of leaving the boards and re reading my heather books, when I was on efi before I had mild constipation and an attack once a month or so, I'm currently a shut in with a bmi of barely 17, the conflicting messages certainly did me no favors

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Small correction new
      #368478 - 11/08/12 08:50 AM
Syl

"... sweet potato and quinoa are safe, only to be told by you and Syl that they are not ..."

I don't believe I have said sweet potato and quinoa are not safe. I have said the through many experiments I have found sweet potato and quinoa to be unsafe for me. However, I do believe that Heather says "... brown rice, oatmeal, buckwheat (soba) noodles, corn meal (polenta), quinoa, and barley. These tend to be the best tolerated whole grains for IBS." This does not mean they are safe for everyone but safe for some people. They definitely are not safe for me and I believe if you check other post you will find others cannot tolerate them either. Hopefully they are safe for you

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 557 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7167

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review