All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Is papaya and quinoa FODMAP safe?
      #368434 - 11/05/12 01:44 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Is there a chart with safe foods to eat? I know there is one in Syl's signature, but that isn't complete. It says Paw paw is safe and I think that is the same as papapay? And it says fennel is bad, but that is one of Heather's treatments for IBS! I don't understand what I'm supposet to eat. Syl, what do you eat?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Holy crap new
      #368436 - 11/05/12 01:52 PM
Cyndy

I eat most of the foods on that list! Avocado everyday, artichokes (yum) and fennel for the bloating!

Re: Is papaya and quinoa FODMAP safe? new
      #368439 - 11/05/12 03:01 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

FODMAP are specific kinds of carbohydrate. They are only carbs not oil, fat or proteins. These types of carbs are digested by bacteria in the colon rapidly producing gas and other byproducts that can trigger IBS symptoms.

Heather sells products with fennel oil or seeds for making tea. The oil and tea don't contain FODMAPs. The fennel bulb which may people eat contains FODMAPs. I am not sure about the seeds but they are high in fiber not recommended on the EFI diet.

There are FIVE FODMAP groups. You may not have a problem with all of them. I have difficulties with 4 of the 5. Fructans in wheat and other grains don't both me. Unfortunately, the best approach is to remove them all for a few weeks and then slowly start testing each group to figure out what you can tolerate.

It is difficult to find a definitive list of FODMAP free foods. It is simpler to learn which foods are known to contain FODMAPs and use this information to exclude those foods. However, one has to read food labels carefully. There is an excellent primer on FODMAPs in a newsletter prepared by International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders (IFFGD). You may find it useful

Papaya or tropical paw paw should be safe according to the USDA database because it contains more glucose than fructose and therefore it is not an excess fructose food.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Holy crap new
      #368456 - 11/07/12 03:54 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

Avocadoes are the most delicious and healthy things ever, but they are extremely high in fat and high in IF and from what I've heard even people with no IBS can have D from them.

quinoa is v high in IF and is a grain to boot (I've always found that IF from grains is a lot more problematic than IF from veggies). unless I eat loads and loads of SFS with the quinoa (which I can't afford to do) I get D. so I don't eat it. shame as it's v healthy again, but can't be helped.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Re: Is papaya and quinoa FODMAP safe? new
      #368457 - 11/07/12 03:57 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

that's an interesting link and strange that it doesn't list broccoli anywhere. I certainly eat (cooked) broccoli as it's got ample SF and is the healthiest vegetable if there ever was one.

the link is also great for distinguishing between mannitol and sorbitol. Sorbitol I do well with, mannitol I am extremely sensitive to.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Avocado
      #368460 - 11/07/12 06:09 AM
Syl

Avocado is a stone fruit like plums, cherries and peachs. These fruits contain a significant amount of sugar alcohols - in particular sorbitol. They are not FODMAP friendly. They are known to give many indiviudals problems. They give me D quickly!

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

okay, I'm done with this
      #368462 - 11/07/12 09:16 AM
Cyndy

I refuse to let food rules become my life. It's crazy. I have Heather's books and she says it is necessary to include things like tomatoes and lentils (the easiest bean to digest, per Heather) in your diet. And I am IBS-C so I need IF. Heather lists quinoa as an SF source anyhow. I'm just gonna eat what sounds good, in moderation, and live my life. I have been following "food rules" for over 10 years and I am no better. So, I need to take a break from this website, once again. I do better when I am not obsessed with every food item that goes into my mouth. I'm glad you all found help...but every body is different. I will eat SF before IF and enjoy foods I like. Thanks for the help....but it's not for me, I fear. Heather's site never ever mentioned the FODMAP approach and many have recovered without it. It's become the new fad on this site. I can't afford to restrict anymore foods from my diet. Maybe I am doomed to live in pain. I just can't take the food rules, obsessions, and fear over every food I put into my mouth. I just need a break. Thanks for trying to help and again, glad it helped you. But I have become anxious, fearful, and upset over trying to figure out if what I put into my mouth is gonna cause me pain. I just can't read all these articles with conflicting advice and differing opinions on what foods to avoid and what is safe. I feel like I am going to have a nervous breakdown over all this. It consumes my every waking hour. I have no life outside of researching food diets. For all the time I have spent researching different IBS diets, I should be feeling well by now, and I'm not. So, I give up for now. Hopefully, I will be able to stay off this site until I am less overwhelmed. According to your posts, almost every food in my house should be thrown out. I can't afford that right now. I need IF or I don't go. I need beans so I can have a bowel movement once in a while. Okay....I'm done. Thanks for trying to help, seriously. I know you were trying to help..but enough is enough for me.For now, at least.

Re: okay, I'm done with this
      #368466 - 11/07/12 09:54 AM
Syl

The clinically tested FODMAP diet is relatively new originating from GI research done in Australia over the past decade. A few days ago Heather posted a link the IBS Research Library to an article about the FODMAP diet and the first two links in my signature contain some useful information. Given that clinical trials of large numbers of IBS patients have shown a 60-70% reduction in symptoms - particularly pain - when the follow the FODMAP diet it might be something worth considering. You might look for a registered dietitian in your area that can advise on how to follow this diet. Many of us on the board use the FODMAP diet in conjunction with Heather's EFI diet with good results.

The International Foundation for Functional Bowel Disorders has an excellent are article on The Low FODMAP diet for IBS starting on page 9 in this newsletter. You may find it informative.

--------------------

Re: okay, I'm done with this
      #368467 - 11/07/12 12:06 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hi Cyndy - just to say, in my own case, food was not the deal for me - I got myself down to crackers and water at one point, because 'every' food was a trigger. Not to say this is your case too, but for some folks, after trying various diets, etc. and still having problems, you may want to take a peek at clinical hypnotherapy, which helped me, to break food and other stress triggers resulting in IBS symptoms - it is a process and a subtle one, but might be something to consider if you havent done so. I had IBS since 1983 and suffered - many folks have found this method to be helpful to them when all else fails - reading and researching about IBS all the time can in some cases escalate IBS symptoms too. If you have any questions, let me know... all the best in your journey to feeling better. Take a look at my journey below if you wish...Take care.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Re: okay, I'm done with this new
      #368469 - 11/07/12 12:36 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Cyndy, I COMPLETELY understand what you are saying. For every person on here there will be a different opinion and a different way.

You do get to a point where you obsess over every gram of fat, every gram of IF or SF, every single thing you put into your mouth, and guess what...you are still no better.

Forget this all for awhile. Do what you say in your post. Find out what works for you, not what someone else says will work for you. Eat in moderation, eat healthy, you certainly don't have much to lose, if you are still feeling so lousy. Sometimes you have to shut out all the noise so you can hear yourself think.

I too was C and was told to do away with the IF. I was sooo freakin C when I did this, I didn't go for a month. If I ate like some of these people on here,(a few carrots here and there),so limited, I would be sick all the time.

Try a food journal for awhile and see what you come up with, if you haven't already tried that. Take a peek at the hypnosis. Sometimes it's not all about the food!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 882 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 30548

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review