All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
FODMAP 6 month progress report
      #368298 - 10/13/12 06:48 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I've been following the FODMAP guidelines pretty religiously and I've had roughly 80% improvement in my symptoms. Almost no D; still some C and gas, with bouts of nausea but much less often.

I think the other 20% is stress, which I'm experiencing in abundance right now (going through a divorce) - I hate to think how I'd be feeling if I had not gotten on this plan prior to events happening. I'd probably be bedridden. As things are now, I'm getting through.

I have the hypnosis CD's - one of these days I vow to actually get through them. It may just be the missing piece of the puzzle.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FODMAP 6 month progress report new
      #368299 - 10/13/12 07:35 AM
Clara818

Reged: 06/08/09

That's great that you've had such success with FODMAPs! I've seen various lists around the web of friendly and unfriendly foods, and some of them seem incomplete or contradict each other...Is there a comprehensive list that you recommend?

Very sorry to hear about your divorce. This must be a tough time.

FODMAP resources. new
      #368300 - 10/13/12 07:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There are a few fairly reliable sources. The first two links in my signature are good. The second one is the originally published research article on FODMAPs. Also, Kate Scarlata the author of the first articles has more information on her website. Patsy Catsos author of "IBS - Free at last" has good information on FODMAPs. Both Scarlata and Catsos are dietitians that keep up with the latest information on the FODMAP diet.

The International Foundation for Functional GI disorders ( IFFDG ) had an excellent write-up on the FODMAP diet in one of their newletters. The article starts about 1/3 of the way through the newsletter. It was written by the GI doctor and dietitian that original designed FODMAP approach for managing functional GI disorders such as IBS.

There are also, a number of people on this board that are intimately familiar with the FODMAP approach and use it in conjunction with Heather's eating for IBS diet.

Ask lots of questions

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: FODMAP resources. new
      #368301 - 10/13/12 02:48 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

"IBS-Free at Last" is the resource on which I most rely. I recommend the second edition since it has the most up to date research. This probably explains some of the contradicting information you've seen - some of it is probably out of date as new data emerges.

A recent Facebook post indicates that there may be a FODMAP cookbook forthcoming from Patsy Catsos, which I'm greatly looking forward to since the diet book has only a very few recipes.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#368302 - 10/13/12 03:35 PM
Clara818

Reged: 06/08/09

Thank you both for this info! I have been eating a mostly EFI diet but I'm interested to try FODMAP while incorporating some EFI principles. If FODMAP works it would actually greatly expand my diet.

#368306 - 10/15/12 12:36 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Another useful resource written by a Canadian doctor/GI fellow and two registered dietitians.

The Complete IBS Health and Diet Guide: Includes Nutrition Information, Meal Plans and Over 100 Recipes for Irritable Bowel Syndrome

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1744 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3318

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review