All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Very Weird D Problem From Safe Steamed Chicken/Fish
      #368158 - 09/07/12 08:47 AM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

OK, so I am having a very weird problem with foods which baffles me. I am wondering if any of you can see something I don't see or can relate.

Over the past several months, I have been getting diarrhea from seemingly safe foods. Specifically at home I have:
Quote:

-Steamed/Poaches/Broiled Chicken (Perdue Brand)
-Steamed Frozen Mahi Mahi (Giant Supermarket Brand)

I have noticed after either of these dishes within 10 minutes I have cramps and gas, followed by 2-4 episodes of diarrhea. I have scaled it back and gone to just having it seasoned with salt. Eating plain rice or a plain bun with these. Same results.

The chicken is cooked, the meat thermometer says so as do my eyes. Same goes for the fish. There's more.
-When I have Frozen Shrimp (Giant SuperMarket Brand) steamed....I am fine.
-When I have fresh cod steamed....I am fine.

Even better.
-When I buy Rotisserie Chicken from the SuperMarket, when I have canned Chicken, when I buy Trader Joe's chicken, I am fine.
-But wait...when I ate at friend's house this past weekend I had boiled chicken there and was...FINE!!!
-Heck I can get a plain chicken sandwich at Burger King and be fine too.

So basically for some odd reason, eating salted Perdue Chicken steamed/boiled/poached at my house=certain diarrhea.
Same goes for Mahi Mahi.
Eating it cooked elsewhere=fine.

WHAT GIVES...ARRRGH.
This makes zero sense and now I just don't know what to do.
I could speculate it is either the Perdue brand, the Giant brand (of fish), poor perserving methods, or the thermometer.
BUT the Shrimp is frozen the same, and the chicken I eat at other's places is preserved likewise.

Is there any possible explanation...have any of you had this where totally safe food causes this problem consistently yet eating it at some other place does not?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Very Weird D Problem From Safe Steamed Chicken/Fish new
      #368159 - 09/07/12 08:47 AM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

Have you ever heard of this, do you have any explanation as to why, and what on earth can I do aside from simply no longer having home made chicken or mahi mahi? I feel like I should do either:
1) A week without eating any of those (homemade chicken/mahi mahi)
2) Switch brands

but long term, I hate to think I cannot have these foods at home.

Thoughts?

#368165 - 09/07/12 01:27 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The problem will probably not be with where the food was prepared but how it was prepared - in other words what was added. Also, presumably both the store and home prepared meals had the same fat content. If the food you bought and made at home was cooked to the same degree then amount of cooking is not a factor that will make much difference. Of course there could be a placebo effect from a belief that home prepared meals are a problem. As you know the placebo effect is high in IBS sufferers.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368166 - 09/08/12 07:30 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I only eat organic, free range chicken and fish....call me a fanatic, but...I have the opposite problem as I don't feel well when I eat out:) Go figure!

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2231

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review