All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is dairy never ok, even small amounts?
      #367986 - 08/02/12 11:34 AM
hec204

Reged: 07/18/12

Hey

Usual disclaimer for anyone who hasn't seen my other posts... I'm new here!

I have been assumming that it isn't the dairy in my diet that is causing IBS symptoms, but there's so much anti-dairy info/advice on this site and in Heather's book(s) that I realise maybe I'm missing something.

Since pretty much forever, I've eaten cereal (Special K kind, cornflakes, or similiar... plain stuff!) with semi-skimmed milk for breakfast. Since finding out about IBS, I've stopped drinking a cup of coffee (with milk) at breakfast (that was the only cup I used to drink per day), and swapped it for tea (with milk). I also started eating an Activa yoghurt before my cereal.
Other than this, recently (1-2 months) there's been very little other dairy in my diet.

I assumed that it wasn't what I was eating at breakfast that was causing me IBS symptoms, because my "attacks" were either first thing in the morning before I ate anything, or not until mid-afternoon, starting straight after eating my lunch. I.e. for the whole morning I was - and still am - pretty much always "ok".

So, here's my question- is there some kind of delayed effect with the dairy I'm eating? Generally in fact, can foods you eat at one time in the day affect you much later on, or even the next day??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is dairy never ok, even small amounts? new
      #367988 - 08/02/12 11:41 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The effect from some trigger foods may not be apparent until hours or even more than a 1 day after they are consumed. Generally speaking the trigger effects of foods don't occur until a considerable amount of time after they are eaten. Frequently, the undigested components in the food have to reach the large bowel before effects are noticed. This can take several hours. However there are plenty of exceptions where symptoms maybe experience relatively quickly especially with IBS-D individuals.

It is best to eliminate dairy completely from your diet until you are certain that it does not exacerbate IBS symptoms. Lactose and some proteins in dairy products can exacerbate IBS symptoms in many individuals. The third link in my signature may give you more insights.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368011 - 08/04/12 01:38 AM
hec204

Reged: 07/18/12

Hi

That's interesting. I'll read the article you suggested too.
Can the same delayed affect apply to medicines too? I stopped taking my peppermint oil capsules (apparently they are not sold at all in France) to see how I coped without them - the first week of not taking them I didn't notice any changes - no worse but no better than normal. And then the second week, without making any other major changes to diet or routine, I had a really bad week.

And re. eliminating dairy (or any kind of food), how long do you need before you can decide if it has an effect or not?

(And thanks - you seem to be replying to all my posts!)

#368015 - 08/04/12 04:51 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I guess the same thing could happen with peppermint oil but I suspect that a week is likely a bit long. Don't forget that stress plays a big role in IBS symptoms too.

I would remove dairy from your diet until you figure you are quite stable.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368040 - 08/10/12 12:02 PM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

I notice the effects within 1 minute - 2 days. Depends on the type of food..
For me, dairy causes nausea almost directly.. For me it's one of the biggest triggers. But yoghurt takes longer (of what I can remember, haven't had it in about 1,5 year ;-)..

I do eat very very tiny amounts of dairy, e.g. milkpowder added in white bread.

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#368047 - 08/11/12 08:00 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

I can eat the occasional small amount of dairy, like an occaaional ice cream treat or some dairy in a processed food. It was actually when I started eating one dairy yogurt a day that I had an all out attack.

If I eat a bunch of junk on day 1, it's the next day that I usually see the ill affects.

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2853 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2813

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review