All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone ever had a comprehensive digestive stool analysis?
      #367935 - 07/27/12 09:04 AM
Desert Phoenix

Reged: 12/17/03

Hey guys,

One of the tests my alternative medicine doctor is recommending is a "comprehensive digestive stool analysis 2.0" to be carried out a by a very specific lab.

I haven't checked yet, but I'm sure it's going to cost a fortune. I was wondering if anyone has had this test and/or can comment on whether the results are at all useful.

Here's the website if you need more info:

http://www.gdx.net/product/10006

Even if it's bogus, you have to admire the marketing. The website shows a woman compassionately embracing her husband, perhaps comforting him after the receiving the results back from his lab test :-)

Anyway, I seem to remember having something similar done when I lived in Germany. But then I took the results to a GI doc there and he said he really couldn't do anything with them, even though some things were definitely out of range.

Chris

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone ever had a comprehensive digestive stool analysis? new
      #367936 - 07/27/12 09:17 AM
dogsled

Reged: 07/16/12

I had one of these done by a lab in the US called Metametrix. Mine was a DNA-based stool analysis and it cost about $400 as I recall. (Maybe a little less.) It said I was a little low in some gut flora, had no parasites, had a few possible malabsorption issues--and a ton of the h. pylori bacteria. I had the test done through an alternative practitioner/nutritionist, but ended up taking the printout to my regular doc (on the nutritionist's recommendation) to get treated for the h. pylori. My doc didn't bat an eye. Saw the results and wrote out the RX, then six months later ran a followup stool test (a basic one covered by my insurance) to make sure treatment had worked.

#367937 - 07/27/12 09:22 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Unfortunately, this test will not tell you much about managing IBS as there is no known physical origin for IBS at the moment. However, if you thing you have parasites or ulcers then talk to you GP or GI doctor about doing some tests which may or may not included a stool analysis.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367938 - 07/27/12 09:30 AM
dogsled

Reged: 07/16/12

Adding to what Syl says, the stool analysis your GP orders is much more likely to be covered by insurance.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4788 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4097

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review