All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
oatmeal confusion
      #367909 - 07/25/12 10:07 AM
dogsled

Reged: 07/16/12

If I make myself a bowl of oatmeal--good old-fashioned Quaker oats, cooked on the stove--I get a good-old-fashioned stomach ache a few hours later. Pain in the region of my stomach/transverse colon that lasts for hours. Every. Single. Time.

If I eat two oatmeal cookies--or more--I have no problems. If I eat granola with oats in it, no problems. Do baked oats behave differently than boiled oats?

I want to try the maple oat bread in Heather's IBS First Year book, but I'm hesitant because of my oatmeal history. Any insight, anyone?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: oatmeal confusion new
      #367910 - 07/25/12 10:17 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Question - what do you put on the oatmeal cereal when you eat it?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367911 - 07/25/12 11:52 AM
dogsled

I'm laughing, because I knew that question would get asked, and I almost addressed in the original post. It happened back in the days when I used dairy milk, and continued when I used soy and continued when I used almond. I have used all those milks for various other things over the years and have never had any issues. Same with whatever bit of sweetener--brown sugar, agave, brown rice syrup. All used at other times in other ways, no trouble. I figured it had something to do with the big load of fiber at once. Hard to call it a food intolerance when I can tolerate it in other forms--especially since it actually seems MORE potentially dangerous in cookies or granola!

#367912 - 07/25/12 12:10 PM
Syl

Wow - that is an interesting response. Dairy, soy and agave can be IBS triggers. It is difficult to tell from you past experience if the problem is the oatmeal or what you put on it. A serving of oatmeal contains about 5 grams of fiber (2 soluble, 1 insoluble and 1 functional). It is possible that this is too high a fiber load for you.

Have you recently tried eating oatmeal cereal without adding anything but say a bit of brown sugar and maybe banana slices? This is the way I eat it every morning but I add a couple of tablespoons of berry juice that I make from frozen berries.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#367913 - 07/25/12 12:25 PM
dogsled

I'm not sure I've ever tried it just straight--I know that I never put MUCH milk on it, but always a little. It is weird, because of all the foods out there, there is only one that I'm SURE gives me trouble, and it's stovetop-cooked oatmeal. 100 percent of the time. All the other possible triggers, including caffeine, alcohol, fat, insoluble fiber . . . I've had various times in the most potentially lethal ways, with no reaction. But plain ol' oatmeal--a sure bellyache.

And last summer, I determined another food that seems to cause the same type of pains: buckwheat. Cooked, raw (in those dehydrated health foody raw granolas), in 100% buckwheat soba noodles, in pancakes. After a few tries, I quit the stuff, just like I did oatmeal. Not sure if this relates, but quinoa often doesn't agree with me, either. Not the same symptoms of pain, but it nauseates me for a few hours after eating it.

Do oatmeal and buckwheat share any DNA?

#367921 - 07/25/12 02:22 PM
Syl

You sound similar to me in some ways. I have experimented with a variety of whole grain foods such as brown rice, buckwheat and quinoa.If I include just a small amount (1-2 teaspoons) in say a serving of white rice then within 2-4 hours I wil experience nausea and pain in the ascending colon. For 24-48 hours afterward I have intense spasms in the ascending and transverse colon.

For me the problem seems to be associated with insoluble fiber and particularly insoluble fiber found in seeds, husks, vegetable/fruit skins, etc. I have removed whole grains and high insoluble fiber foods in any form from my diet with satisfactory results. Generally speaking a high insoluble fiber foods is one that contains more insoluble fiber than the sum of the soluble and functional fibers.

--------------------

#367923 - 07/25/12 03:10 PM
dogsled

Ascending colon--that's on the right, right? (Been a couple decades since my college anatomy classes . . .) Whenever I get the telltale nausea, I get achiness/tightness at that turn, the hepatic flexure I think it's called, extending over toward the middle.

I'm good with brown rice. Nuts and seeds and veggies okay, too, but lately I've been cushioning everything with white rice or white wheat, just to be safe. I'm recovering from a bad couple weeks that got kicked off by coffee.

#367924 - 07/25/12 03:25 PM
Syl

The hepatic flexure joins the ascending to the transverse colon on the right hand side.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5235 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3793

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review