All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peppermint capsules
      #367864 - 07/21/12 10:58 AM
dogsled

Reged: 07/16/12

I've read the sticky. I have rarely had heartburn. No GERD, no ulcers, etc.

I took one peppermint capsule on an empty stomach four hours ago with very little water. An hour later, I had some hot water with lemon. Then with a tiny bit of Acacia Tummy Fiber mixed in to the last two inches of the water. Then I had a smoothie (mango, avocado, kale, almond milk).

Within 10 minutes of taking the peppermint, I could feel that hot/cold sensation in my stomach. It got really intense, off and on, for that first hour. Not heartburn, exactly, because there was none of that "climbing" feeling and all sensation stayed beneath my ribs. I kept wanting to eat something to neutralize it. The lemon-water seemed to help. But now, four hours since taking it, I can still feel it. My whole middle feels pepperminted.

Are we supposed to be able to feel this stuff all day?! Or is it maybe just not for me? I'm starting to think I'm going to feel this oil working its whole way through . . .

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint capsules new
      #367870 - 07/22/12 12:51 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

I've never had GERD, heartburn or ulcers either. I have tried different brands of peppermint capsules (all enteric coated), with all of them: I tasted peppermint all day, I kept burping up peppermint and I'm not sure it helped my IBS either. it wasn't v pleasant, at all. perhaps try peppermint tea. again you will taste it, but it's not unpleasant and hot peppermint tea esp reduces my bloating like no other. fennel tea has never worked for me.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#368071 - 08/18/12 05:19 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

I too have tried several different kinds and Heather's work best for me. Mainly, they reduce my pain. Just like most medicines, they have side effects which some can tolerate and others can't.

Cheers

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#368087 - 08/23/12 10:35 AM
Donna281

Reged: 08/16/10

Oh gosh it sounds like it's not for you. This Feb I tried some at a health food store and it gave me violent cramps like I have everytime I bleed, d (it smelled like mint no joke) and it burned like heck. It is way too strong for me. I had to take imodium which made mt extreme c worse.I wish there was a warning. I have to remember to do lots of research.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 600 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2113

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review