Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
FODMAP and EFI....
      #367821 - 07/17/12 01:10 PM
TwinsPlusOne

Reged: 05/08/12
Loc: Western MA

Hello:

So I am currently on the elimination diet for FODMAPs and after a couple of days there is a little improvement. (to be fair it is all of a sudden very hot and very humid which never sits well with me and I think I tend to eat too much per sitting) anywho....my question is:

For those who have combined these to diet approaches how did you go about it. Is it a matter of eating FODMAP friendly foods but always starting with soluble fiber? Limiting FODMAP friendly fats to an EFI friendly amount? My goal is regularity (of my southern hemisphere) without the trapped gas, bloating, and pain on a daily basis. And of course figuring out my basic diet so when I have an attack I know what to fall back to....

Thanks for the advice!

--------------------
IBS C + D for 14 years. I am finally becoming open-minded enough to get out of my own way. Happily married and proud mother to 3 wonderful boys

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FODMAP and EFI.... new
      #367824 - 07/17/12 02:31 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Perhaps the simplest way to approach it is to use Heather's approach - reduce consumption of insoluble fiber foods, increase consumption of soluble fiber foods. Remove other irritants like coffee, tea, alcohol, red meat, too much fat, etc and then choose only FODMAP safe foods. Heather's Cheat Sheet has an abbreviated version of the guidelines.

FODMAPS are only carbohydrates that can be rapidly fermented by colonic bacteria producing gas and other by-products that can trigger IBS spasms.

All fats are FODMAP safe. Fats should be kept to 20-25% of daily calories. So if you eat 2000 kcal per day you need 400-500 kcals from fat. At 9 kcal per gram you need 45 - 55 grams of fat/oil per day or 10-15 grams ((1 - 1.5 tbps) per meal on average. FODMAP unfriendly foods are foods that contain rapidly fermentable carbohydrates.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367834 - 07/18/12 07:23 PM
TwinsPlusOne

I know that I should just make my own -- and for many things I am, but I would love to have a quick treat I can grab occasionally. So I am wondering if Macrobars are FODMAP safe. They appear to be to me but I am new to this.

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS C + D for 14 years. I am finally becoming open-minded enough to get out of my own way. Happily married and proud mother to 3 wonderful boys

#367835 - 07/19/12 07:34 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Macobars appear to be FODMAP friendly. They do contain a lot of sugar about 13-15 grams per bar.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367837 - 07/19/12 09:04 AM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

In my view...just eat only things approved BOTH by FODMAP and efi. Overlay.

#367838 - 07/19/12 09:18 AM
TwinsPlusOne

That makes sense -- I think that is what I am doing lol. It is just a tad intimidating when you are first trying to combine two different plans. Although as you really put them side by side they are not all that different....

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 208 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2732

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review