All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Looking at the full paper ... new
      #367546 - 06/01/12 05:40 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

I believe all these problems go away if the sample could be captured using a swallowed capsule rather than an endoscopic probe.

Yes I was diagnosed with SIBO and did the Vivonex which did not help.

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#367547 - 06/01/12 07:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Perhaps the transit time of the capsule could make a difference. In the papers on small intestine sampling they indicate the samples need to be cultured within 1-2 hours. It could take several hours or even a day for the capsule to exit the body after collecting the sample. It will interesting to see how this research evolves

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367549 - 06/02/12 06:12 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Thanks. I didn't think of that. Perhaps a way could be developed for the culturing process to take place within the capsule as it traverses the remainder of the small intestine and colon.

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Re: I'd like to see the people with SIBO screened out new
      #367690 - 06/26/12 08:18 PM
bg

Reged: 05/03/12

I've been on the IBS diet for about a year and a half. All was going really well and then I started developing more unusual symptoms, such as arm pain and numbness in my fingers - among other things. My brother talked me into trying gluten free and these symptoms all but disappeared. Now I'm trying to stick to both programs, which takes a little getting used to with all the different foods that gluten is actually in. Things I could eat before are now off limits.

Celiac disease new
      #367691 - 06/27/12 04:36 AM
Syl

Have you seen a GI doctor about being tested Celiac disease ? It is a serious disease that shouldn't be self diagnosed.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Celiac disease new
      #367703 - 06/28/12 04:51 AM
Clifton

Reged: 12/11/08

Syl, I am a bit confused.

In the article it is said:
Quote:

Following a well-balanced, gluten-free diet is generally the only treatment you need to stay well.

Then why shouldn't it be self-diagnosed? If ultimately that is what they are going to recommend.

The reason I am asking this is because it is only through self observation can we find out that we have symptoms that are repeatedly occurring like mouth ulcers, skin problems, joint pains etc. Also in the initial stages it appears to be under the umbrella of IBS.

It is also difficult to go back to taking gluten when you know GF diets are working alright.

#367704 - 06/28/12 05:05 AM
Syl

Celiac disease is a serious disorder whose management and diagnosis should always be done under the direction of trained health care professionals. A confirmed diagnosis of Celiac disease instead of suspected self-diagnosis of Celiac disease will ensure that you receive proper treatment for all subsequent health problems that takes into account a confirmed Celiac diagnosis. It is not worth while play around with a serious disease like Celiac disease.

In the article ''You don't need a prescription to go gluten-free'': The scientific self-diagnosis of celiac disease some of the people interviewed said that a firm diagnosis from a health care professional stopped others including family and friends from calling them hypochondriacs. A medical diagnosis becomes part of a patient's formal medical record and medical personnel recognize it as legitimate.

There is also an interesting statement in Celiac Disease for Dummies written by two MDs. "If you have not been diagnosed with celiac disease, yet you find yourself feeling better after starting yourself on a gluten-free diet, don't take this as evidence that you have this ailment. In fact, a recent study showed that only one-third of people in this situation actually had celiac disease. The other two-thirds of the group were using a rather restrictive diet to treat conditions that should have been treated in other ways. The only way to be definitively diagnosed with celiac disease is to first have a small intestine biopsy."

--------------------

#367713 - 07/03/12 05:01 AM
Clifton

Reged: 12/11/08

Thanks Syl for the info about Celiac disease.

#367749 - 07/06/12 09:13 PM
bg

Reged: 05/03/12

Yes, I have been tested. I'm not intolerant, but for sure sensitive as are a number of people in my family

Re: This is so interesting, new
      #369622 - 06/18/13 02:48 PM
maggles

Reged: 06/18/03

Dear Heather,

Your site and info has been a help to me these now 12 years I've been dx with a "sensitive gut" with bouts of IBS-D symptoms (but did not fit full criteria). Mainly it was morning gas and discomfort, crazy gurgling stomach at night, and sometimes nausea- it's morphed all around, symptoms waxing and waning, chronic and usually mild, w/ flare ups when exhausted etc. This all followed a long trip to Central America and gastrotitis attack. New fab GI said I'm not satisfied w/ "IBS" dx with you (endoscopy and colonoscopy were negative) so I want you to go have this hydrogen breath test. So many dead endds I put it off a year. New BF who traveled in a lot of 3rd world places said you have to do this. Well GUESS WHAT?? Normal baseline 0-15, mine was 58. Average spiked count for someone w/ SIBO- 48 at END of two hour test. Mine was 120 after ONE hour!!! I am so happy that this med I read about rifaximin may cure me- or at least really reduce things- and I have to follow a diet too I think. Have not seen GI yet- only tester at hospital. But I want to pass this on bc there may be people like me who don't know about this test who had these symptoms that don't fit IBS perfectly, after a GI "attack" (food bourne in my case abroad) and must insist on this test! I will be interested to see what happens to me now! Wishing you all the best!!! Maggie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 670 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14700

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review