All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating for IBS
      #367490 - 05/21/12 10:39 AM
onmyway

Reged: 05/15/12

I suspect I have IBS. Not confirmed but in the process of dr visits. In the meanwhile I am trying to modify my diet to follow what is recommended for IBS. I am waiting for Heather's "eating for ibs" book to arrive but am quickly trying to incorporate key principles into my diet each day & with every meal choice, that being said there is so much for me to learn. I was recently at PeiWei for lunch & chose their Lemongrass Chicken Noodle Salad (Lemongrass chicken, chilled rice noodles, pineapple, carrots, scallions, iceberg lettuce, Napa cabbage, Fresno chile peppers, fried taro, lime, lemongrass vinaigrette in a butter lettuce cup) The chicken was not fried & everything was finely sliced... Was this a good choice or am I better off eating off their gluten free menu? I do not believe I have Celiac's disease but just hoping I made a good choice for IBS. Considering what I used to order; fried rice w extra egg, fried crab wontons (heavy on the spicy sweet chili dipping sauce & maybe a few edamame... I think I chose better but I did eat it on an empty stomach...? I did make sure I had a few edamame first but not sure how sustainable this is as a soluble fiber source...

Help

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating for IBS new
      #367499 - 05/22/12 04:58 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is important to have a doctor's diagnose of IBS and negative test for celiac disease. Self-diagnosis is not a particularly good idea.

Once you get Heather's book and read it closely you will understand why the salad you choose might not have been so safe especially with pineapple, Napa cabbage, iceberg lettuce and if some of the other veggies were raw or not cooked until soft. The salad contained a considerable amount of insoluble fiber and very little soluble fiber except for the rice noodles.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Eating for IBS new
      #367504 - 05/22/12 11:32 AM
onmyway

Reged: 05/15/12

Thank you. I have been sick all day & wasn't sure what in particular in that salad was the culprit... It's discouraging. I'm trying to make changes in my diet that help the situation not make it worse.. I agree that self diagnosis is not the best idea. My husband is a doctor & referred me to a gastro doctor that he works with. I'm waiting to see him next week to get a diagnosis started.

Thank you

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 608 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1811

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review