All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: FODMAPs and infusion? new
      #367594 - 06/12/12 04:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yes - onions and garlic boiled in water release fructans. It does not happen in oil. Onions and chive have fructans. Apparently, the green part of spring onions is fine for some people. Bok Choy and bean sprouts are cruciferous vegetables. Although they may have a low amount of fructans they can still cause gassiness in some people.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#367595 - 06/12/12 06:26 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

Thanks! I certainly belong to those 'some' people. They cause me a lot of gas.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#367596 - 06/12/12 06:37 AM
Susie1985

I think people may also respond to different triggers differently. For me too much fat causes pain, but no bloating. Most FODMAPs cause D/bloating, but no real cramping with the exception of lactose. Too much IF causes D, even more IF causes short intermittent cramping.

A FODMAP/IBS diet will almost certainly be low on magnesium so I take a supplement to remedy that (but not to ease my symptoms). I started with magnesium citrate and all hell broke loose with pain and nausea. I'm pretty sure this was irrespective of the IBS though. I believe women need 300mg of Mg per day, men 400, so if you take 500 on top of eating food (like oatmeal, potatoes, bananas) that will contain another 100 or 200mg, too much magnesium can cause bloating/D even in a healthy individual as far as I know.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#367599 - 06/12/12 10:01 PM
Yumeji

Reged: 05/16/12

It's interesting that you mention romaine lettuce contains excess fructose as I've seen this mentioned a few times on the internet. However, I can't find the source for such information. According to Patsy Catsos' book, "leaf lettuce" are listed as safe foods.

#367601 - 06/13/12 04:41 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The USDA Food Database lists "Lettuce, cos or romaine, raw" as having 0.39 grams glucose and 0.80 grams fructose for an excess of 0.40 grams of fructose. The Gibson and Shepherd article says "Foods and beverages containing > 0.5 g fructose in excess of glucose per 100 g ..." are considered unsafe. So US grown romaine lettuce should be fine. However, it may give problems due to its high insoluble fiber content.

An important thing to consider is the fact that the values given in food tables are averages usually for foods produced/prepared in a given region. The values can change depending on a several factors ranging from the methodology used to determine them to the growing conditions and plant varieties grown in the region.

The values in food tables are useful guidelines but when in doubt always trust your gut

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367604 - 06/13/12 06:52 AM
Susie1985

Well, guess it comes down to individual sensitivity. The FODMAP diet says that a slice of bread is fine. No, it is not fine for me, even if the FODMAP diet says so.

I am v suspicious of bananas causing me gas too. again if that is the case (if there is enough inulin or whatever in it), the FODMAP diet listing it as safe has been of zero use.

Shepherd and Bush's article says that romaine lettuce has 1g of excess fructose per 100g. That's Australia. USDA would be America I guess. No idea what results they'd have for Britain.

I am getting too desperate now, as I am well and truly running out of things to eat. Maybe I should just accept that it's either being bloated or dying of starvation.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 768 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10820

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review