All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Syl: Double-checking my FODMAP trial-run
      #367472 - 05/17/12 01:56 PM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

OK...I'm ready to dig in and learn about FODMAPS! I've read your signature articles, and I've tried to blend that with what I've learned through Heather's IBS info. I have Celiac, so I already avoid gluten altogether, and I completely avoid dairy (by the way...does anyone with IBS dare to try the "certain cheeses" listed under the FODMAP friendly section? I'd LOVE to add a little real mozzarella to a GF pizza now and then!! Don't think that's likely!) SO...I can just zero in on the other 4 columns.

My thought was to totally eliminate all foods listed in the "Rich in FODMAPs section for about 2 weeks to get them completely out of my system and allow myself to see if I feel better. Then I figured I'm just supposed to try adding in 1 food item in small amounts over time, watching for how I react to each as it's put back in to my diet (?).

BUT, I have a few questions about what to include during the 2 week "OFF" time. I plan to continue with my normal GF bread products (all are free of any FODMAP offenders), substituting rice milk for any soy I've been using. I plan to keep carrots, bananas, potatoes and sweet potatoes in since these seem to be good on both diets. Squash, pumpkin, and papaya are all on Heather's "Green Light" list, but I didn't see them anywhere on the FODMAP chart. Are these friendly?

Does this sound like a good plan?! I'm more than willing to do this trial, but like everyone else out there I want to be reasonably sure I'm on the right track.

Other factors about me that might help: I've recently been treated for SIBO with heavy antibiotics (methane producer), and am now on Align per GI's suggestion (I was bloating terribly within 2 weeks of the SIBO treatment). I've been on Align for a month now.
I typically eat strictly by the IBS rules, plus GF, and I have been even more strict (scared!) about even the foods in the "Yellow Light" section of Heather's list. I pretty much eat safely seasoned white chicken, GF breads, pastas and cereals, drink rice milk and occasionally soy milk, bananas, Tostitos, fish and other seafood, and small amounts of safe spaghetti sauce. Vegetables and fruits really make me nervous right now, so my diet is very lacking in these. This is why I want to try to explore the FODMAP approach- I'm hoping to find more safe options.

Any thoughts?! Thanks to you (and anyone else!) ahead of time for any advice.
**I'm MUCH, MUCH better off than I was a year ago...this post probably sounds miserable, but I am VERY grateful for how much the IBS guidelines have helped me. My daily life is SO much better now; I do things with my family pretty much like I used to do before the attacks got so bad. I don't have the constant fear of a painful attack with throwing up, etc. IBS doesn't control my days anymore...it's just that I still deal with bloating and pain (and spasms) randomly, and I know that there must be more that I can do to make it even better.

Blessings! KellyJean

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Syl: Double-checking my FODMAP trial-run new
      #367473 - 05/17/12 03:54 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Your approach sounds quite reasonable. And your time off diet sounds excellent.

When you begin to add foods from a given group back in you might do fructose and polyols first (one at a time) and then the others. If you are sensitive to these you should know fairly quickly after re-introducing them.

Another thing to consider. According to recent research from the Australian group tofu is considered be a low-FODMAP food because of the way it is made. I have not been able to confirm this. If you eat and like tofu you might try re-introducing it early in your trials.

Please keep us posted on how your approach is working and pass along any tips you gain

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Syl: Double-checking my FODMAP trial-run new
      #367481 - 05/18/12 04:35 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

In answer to your cheese question, I personally have no problems with the FODMAP safe cheeses; I realize that's atypical for most people here.

Per "IBS Free at Last", papaya and squash are on the safe list for the elimination phase. Pumpkin is higher FODMAP and should not be consumed during the elimination phase. (You can always challenge it later - I plan to do so myself shortly because I love pumpkin!)

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 166 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1552

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review