All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
fat?
      #367432 - 05/11/12 03:43 AM

Reged: 05/11/12

Much is made of the importance of ensuring a low fat content in all meals/snacks. I am very careful to use the minimum that I can when cooking and baking, and I'm concerned that I'm not getting a sufficient intake. Of course, I'm always worried about over-doing it.

I looked to the 'Eating for IBS Cookbook' for advice but was surprised to find large discrepancies between the fat contents. The meals seemed to range from around 1-18g fat, but then I spotted a salmon recipe with over 30g (over 50% of total calories.)

I understand that we have to find what works for us, but I would appreciate any explanation/guidance with this...

Many thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fat? new
      #367433 - 05/11/12 04:39 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Check the trigger web page. It says "Keep your fat intake to 20% - 25% of your total calories, and make your fats count. They should be monounsaturated and contain essential fatty acids, so choose fat sources such as olive oil, canola oil, avocados, finely ground nuts, fatty fish, flax oil, etc. Because all fats, even heart-healthy choices, are still potential IBS triggers"

So the total daily intake of fat should be 20-25% while the amount of fat in a given meal may be higher or lower than the daily fat/oil consumption.

This is within the USDA guidelines tha say no more than 30% of calories from fat and less than 10% from saturated fats.

And recall that 1 gram of fat = 9 calories and 1 gram carb or protein = 4 calories.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: fat? new
      #367434 - 05/11/12 08:23 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

I may be just personally unlucky but it has never really worked for me to have 25% of overall kcal coming from fat. Just like too much IF per ONE meal may trigger an attack for most people, too much fat per ONE MEAL (more than a quarter of kcal) is trouble for me.

But seeing how a lot of people eat a good amount of peanut butter/salmon etc or other extremely high-fat meals and apparently they have no problems, maybe it's just me who's exceedingly sensitive to too much fat.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

you're not alone, Susie1985! new
      #367441 - 05/12/12 09:05 AM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

The same is true for me- if any given meal or snack is higher than the 25% level, I'll definitely get sick. I'm better off just making sure that any prepared foods I eat have a % that's ok, and if I'm making the food myself (which is most often the case), I just make sure I'm making it as low fat as possible (substituting plain applesauce for oil or butter in baked goods, using spray oils for my pans, etc). I do eat salmon, tho...but I make sure I have a very good sol. fiber base with it (pasta, potatoes, bread, etc).

Re: you're not alone, Susie1985! new
      #367442 - 05/12/12 10:06 AM
Susie1985

Oh I'm not alone! Thanks!

It's quite challenging as we of course need fat so I've had to learn to be careful but still not go too low. I now know how many kcals come from fat in all fat containing foods I eat. I still eat salmon (in permitted amounts), cook my oatmeal in soya milk and I eat avocados (again in reduced amounts). I also eat ground nuts (one tablespoonful is only 30kcal from fat and goes a long way, can basically sprinkle it over meat/prawns/lettuce) and olives are great too (not as fatty as olive oil). I grill chicken breast entirely with no oil (George Foreman is the best thing invented!). It is definitely possible to eat only low fat meals, we just have to rise to the challenge (and use maths skills!)

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#367443 - 05/12/12 10:51 AM
Syl

Unfortunately, nuts are very difficult to digest so you only get about 50% of the oils they contain.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#367449 - 05/13/12 08:51 AM
Susie1985

I once saw a study that was boasting about how nuts are not fattening despite the high kcal content, as test subjects didn't put on so much weight from them as they should have. my immediate thought was: that's cos people eat nuts by the handful and don't/can't chew them well, ie half of it either goes through you/gets stuck in your teeth etc.

I thought grinding them up greatly increased the absorbability of both nutrients and fat?

--------------------

#367450 - 05/13/12 08:53 AM
Syl

Grinding increases the surface area making them more digestible but they still are not completely digested.

Grinding does not increase the absorbability. This is a characteristic of the gut lining not the nut.

--------------------

so increase nut consumption but no IBS attacks? new
      #367451 - 05/14/12 04:34 AM
Susie1985

So you wrote: 'you only get about 50% of the oils they contain' if unground, more if ground, but only a little more (?), ie I could increase how much nuts I eat per meal as a higher intake may contain more fat but it won't affect my IBS?

--------------------

Re: so increase nut consumption but no IBS attacks? new
      #367452 - 05/14/12 04:41 AM
Syl

Nuts are high insoluble fiber so if you can handle the increase then sure eat more Of course nut butter is the likely the best way to get the most fat and protein out of them as the nuts are ground so fine that the oil is partially extracted.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5193 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4702

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review