All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
SNRIs, SSRIs and Natural Supplement questions
      #367332 - 04/28/12 01:38 PM
nutritionlover

Reged: 09/18/11

I was on Zoloft for many years for anxiety. At the time I thought it did help my IBS although I now know it made me IBS D vs what I am now (on no drugs), IBS A. I am now considering going back on an anti-depressant, as my anxiety and depression has returned. Zoloft helped somewhat, but not as much as I would like. My doctor is recommending an SNRI called Savella, as she believes it will also help my chronic fatigue. Does anyone have any experience with this drug or other similar SNRIs? I am not so concerned with whether or not it will help my IBS (although that would be a plus), but I have heard that these drugs can cause gastrointestinal side effects and that is concerning because my IBS is not stable.

Also, my acupuncturist is recommending I take a supplement called MoodFood (made by Xymogen). It is a natural alternative to an antidepressant. Has anyone tried this or something similar?

Thank you very much to anyone that has any experience or advice!

--------------------
IBS A (more D than C). Severe GERD & Hiatal Hernia as well.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SNRIs, SSRIs and Natural Supplement questions new
      #367337 - 04/29/12 12:56 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Savella is specifically for fibromyalgia (FM) not depression or chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). FM frequently co-occurs with CFS and both frequently co-occur with IBS. Have you been diagnosed with FM as well as CFS?

MoodFood is a supplement composed of vitamins, minerals and amino acids. It likely has little antidepressive effects. It cannot hurt to take it.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367339 - 04/29/12 02:36 PM
nutritionlover

I have not been officially diagnosed with FM, because my joint pain is only mild. I do have all of the symptoms though.

I have been wanting to try the MoodFood, my only concern is triggering an IBS attack. Do you think it looks okay to try?

Thank you!

--------------------

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

#367341 - 04/29/12 04:41 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There is no additives that you need worry about. However, some people cannot tolerate vitamins. It is something you will have to try and see if it works for you.

It might be worthwhile seeking a positive diagnosis for FM before making a decision.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367381 - 05/03/12 03:41 PM
LadyThana

Reged: 07/02/08

I've recently tried mirtazapine (Remeron) and escitalopram (Cipralex) for depression/anxiety and both severely worsened my IBS. The mirtazapine gave me horrible nausea and cramping and escitalopram switched me from IBS-C to IBS-D. I also tried duloxetine (Cymbalta) several years ago but it also made me severely nauseous and unable to eat anything.

In the past I've tried citalopram (Celexa) and venlaxafine (Effexor) and neither affected my IBS, though neither helped my depression/anxiety either.

Hope this helps!

#367383 - 05/04/12 09:13 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I have had experience with taking vitamins and as Syl mentioned didn't agree with me at all. There are many and I tried combinations as well as individual. Calcium, magnesium and vitamin C were the worst for me. I do take Vitamin D with no problems.

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Thanks for the advice! -nt- new
      #367394 - 05/06/12 02:10 PM
nutritionlover

--------------------

#367395 - 05/06/12 02:11 PM
nutritionlover

Thanks for the insight, it does seem to be a matter of a trial and error.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2253 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5297

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review