All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
FODMAPS
      #367225 - 04/12/12 06:30 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I'm taking the plunge and giving this a try. Started yesterday - spent way too much time and money at the grocery store, and I feel like I can't eat anything but if it works it'll be worth it.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FODMAPS new
      #367227 - 04/12/12 06:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you need any clarification about the FODMAP approach ask lots of questions. And don't forget that you still have to pay attention to strong GI triggers such as caffeine, high fat and insoluble fiber which is something that most Internet write-ups on FODMAPs fail to mention even though the GI doctors who developed this approach warn about.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: FODMAPS new
      #367228 - 04/12/12 07:30 AM
vettech

Thanks, I probably will as time goes on. I've been doing a lot of reading and have found some conflicting information. Yesterday I downloaded the Kindle version of the the second edition of IBS-Free at Last, which supposedly has been updated with the latest research from Australia, so that's what I'm using now.

A lot of it makes sense to me - the fact that I can eat something one day and be fine, but it'll bother me the next, the "cumulative" effect I tend to get (I can eat a little of something and be ok, but try to eat it too often and it gets me), the fact that certain cheeses (a known IBS trigger) have never been a problem for me. I intend to follow the diet closely, only cutting out additional items that I know from experience give me trouble (certain fruits and veggies, high fat etc.) The hardest part is giving up honey, which I use in my tea! Sugar is just not the same - first I have too little, than too much... I'll adjust in time, I'm sure.

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

Re: Syl - challenge phase? new
      #367268 - 04/17/12 12:18 PM
vettech

Nearly a week in the elimination phase of the diet and so far so good. After another week or so I plan to enter the challenge phase. I'm just curious as to how you approached it. Personally, I'm leaning toward introducing wheat first since eliminating it seems to be the greater hardship, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

Re: Syl - challenge phase? new
      #367269 - 04/17/12 01:53 PM
Syl

Yes - wheat (fructans) is a good place to start. If that goes okay then try more foods from that group. Leave fructose and lactose to the last. Good luck

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Syl - organic brown rice syrup new
      #367303 - 04/24/12 09:56 AM
vettech

What has been your experience with this ingredient? I needed to find a new snack bar since the ones I normally eat have soy, inulin, etc. The new one appears to be otherwise safe, but the book I'm using as a guide says that since "brown rice syrup" can come in a high fructose version, to avoid it. It doesn't address "organic" BRS but everything I've read indicates that this is mostly maltose with virtually no fructose, so it seems like it should be safe.

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

#367305 - 04/24/12 01:09 PM
Syl

Yes - I believe brown rice syrup is composed mostly of maltose and glucose. I have not seen a brown rice syrup containing a high amount of fructose. I use a golden corn syrup which is mostly glucose. I believe Karo makes a similar product.

--------------------

#367327 - 04/27/12 09:12 AM
vettech

I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that these bars are not safe, at least not for me. I've felt lousy ever since I started eating them, and I haven't added anything else to the FODMAPS diet I have been following (which seemed to be doing well for me up to this point).

Upon looking at the ingredients, the only other questionable ingredient is organic cocoa butter. While my book doesn't address it, internet research seems to indicate it is FODMAP free, although its fat content can present a problem. But I eat a small amount of dark chocolate almost daily (not the last few days though) with no problems. And since this bar's primary flavor is peanut butter (and again, up until a few days ago I've been eating quite a bit of PB almost daily, no problem) with very small chocolate chunks, I wouldn't think the amount of cocoa would be large. The amount of calories from fat in these bars is around 31% - I usually try to shoot for 30% or less - would that small amount over be causing a problem? I'm sure I've had small amounts of other foods that were over that since going on this diet, without this much distress.

Macrobar

Ingredients
Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Peanut Butter, Organic Brown Rice Protein, Organic Fair Trade Chocolate Chips (Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Soy Lecithin, Organic Natural Vanilla), Organic Peanuts, Organic Puffed Brown Rice.

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

#367328 - 04/27/12 10:05 AM
Syl

Perhaps the problem is the high insoluble fiber content. All the flavors seem to contain organic brown rice. The FODMAP diet assumes you are managing other triggers such as insoluble fiber, caffiene, etc

--------------------

#367329 - 04/27/12 12:45 PM
vettech

Hmm, normally brown rice is not a problem for me, but maybe the combination is too much. There's only 3g of fiber in the entire bar.

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9153

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review