All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: FODMAPS new
      #368872 - 12/30/12 02:37 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

are gluten free desserts, made from sugar or brown rice syrup safe for a low fodmap diet? I can't find this ingredient on any fodmap list.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#368874 - 12/30/12 02:50 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

In the first reference in my signature.

In the FODMAP friendly section of the Table

"Sweeteners such as sugar, glucose, and aspartame".

Sugar means white and brown.

Regarding brown rice syrup see the example at the very bottom of this page. This practical guide is written by the same dietitian who wrote the first article in my signature.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368875 - 12/30/12 03:09 PM
Cyndy

sorry...I am going to buy IBS free at last tomorrow, so hopefully that will help me lots. It is very conflicting suggestions, though.

I did read under one of your links that sugar content must be below forty grams per serving.
And according to monash update, a handful of chickpeas are now okay. It's confusing that so many cheeses and dairy products are listed as okay.

I read the article you provided three times and did not see anything about brown rice syrup. OOPS, just found it in the bread ingredient list! I was surprised that it was suggesting to buy gluten free bean flour! Beans are not allowed on the low fodmap diet, so what's that all about?

#368878 - 12/30/12 03:27 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is quite possible that when beans are milled to produce flour the process removes the offending FODMAP. And it could depend on the type of bean. For example, while soy products are not FODMAP friendly firm tofu which is produced from soy is friendly. The reason it is safe is that the offending FODMAP is removed during the production of tofu from soy beans.

Yes - it is a bit complicated. We have so many foods prepared in so many different ways that it is going to take a few years before we have a good understanding of exactly which foods are friendly and which are not.

While some dairy products don't contain FODMAPs it is quite possible that they can aggrevate IBS symptoms for other reasons other than their FODMAP content. You will have to figure this out for yourself.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

great updates.....but so restrictive. new
      #368882 - 12/30/12 05:50 PM
Cyndy

comments with replies

Only 1/2 cup of sweet potato. What about a whole one? Come on. Getting frustrated. Doesn't even mention spinach. Is spinach a low fodmap food? How about swiss chard? And is coconut yogurt or almond yogurt okay?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2569 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9198

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review