All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS diet and the total, daily amount of calory intake?
      #367200 - 04/05/12 08:29 AM
Seriegubben

Reged: 04/05/12

Hey there!

I'm completely new to this forum, and so this is my first created topic. I'll try to do my best!

I've had problems with my stomach for virtually my whole life. I seriously doubt there have been anything related to IBS until recently though, as when i as a child changed to a lactose-free diet, all of my problems disappeared. I still were a tad more gasy than my classmates in school though, which stood out. I'm now 22 years old, and since around 4 years back, I've once again had problems with my gut. It started with me starting lifting weights in the gym, and since my goal was to put on more muscles, I also started eating more. Aside from my usual breakfast-, lunch- and dinner routine, I also started adding snacks in between. You know, a sandwhich and a can of tuna etc. I remember that i then started having big bowelmovements once everyday or every second day. My stomach also looked like it was inflating. I misjudged this as if I was getting fat. Now I know that isn't the truth.

It's only until recently that 've begun looking into the symptoms for IBS as a possible answer for my problems. I've been to a doctor who said I most likely have IBS, and I also got to take a feces-test to check for blood and the sort, and also a blood-test to check my vitals. They were all good. He could also confirm that my bloated stomach had a lot of gas in it.

The symptoms I mostly experience is a bloated stomach, constipation (and when I do have bowel movements the first half of my poop is of normal consistency and the second half is diarrhea-ish, or my feces are small, hard lumps) and the feeling that even though I just went to the toilet and pooed, I still feel as if there is some more poo that I can squeeze through. The latter symptom is the most difficult to bear. I very, very rarely have stomachpains. I only get those when I drink proteindrinks based on whey, and I can only remember one time during the last half a year that I experienced cramps in my abdomen after eating lunch. I guess the cramps resulted from the meat in my meal at the time, but who knows.

But here's the thing: If I skip my snacks in between the larger meals, my stomach bloating and other symptoms will dissapear after around 2 weeks. I'm essentially cured. At least this is what happened during the recent winter when I took a break from all excercising and thus cut down on my daily diet. Mind you that when I eat snacks and the big meals everyday, I also work out 5 times a week (3 days weight lifting and 2 days cardio). I also almost never eat junkfood. To give you an idea of what I eat when I also eat snacks, heres my daily meny:

06.30: 2 dl oatmeal, milk, a sandwhich, a peeled apple, a handfull of nuts (almond, cashew etc.)
10.00: a handfull of nuts, cottage cheese, a fruit
12.00: rice, chicken and vegetables
15.00: cottage cheese, a sandwhich and a fruit
17.00: pasta, something meaty (;)) and vegetables
21.00: a bowl of soured milk with meusli, a fruit

The total amount of calories I consume during the day when I eat like this is around 3000. The total amount of calories I consume if I skip the snack should be around 1800 or something like that.

Also, I'm generally a healthy young man.

So why is it that my symptoms dissapear when I don't eat snacks? I realize that my snacks contain triggerfoods, but the meat in my lunch/dinner meals and milk in my breakfast are also triggerfoods. Could it be that the daily amount of food I consume correlates to wether or not I suffer from IBS-like symptoms?

Thanks in advance!

/ Seriegubben

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS diet and the total, daily amount of calory intake? new
      #367201 - 04/05/12 09:33 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Bloating, constipation and diarrhea are common IBS symptoms. One way to minimize IBS symptoms is to reduce or eliminate the consumption of foods that can cause the bowel to spasm and colonic bacteria to produce excess gas.

You are eating lots of trigger foods such as cottage cheese, sour milk, whey, nuts and muesli. It might be useful if you read about the Eating for IBS diet paying particular attention to trigger foods, insoluble fiber and soluble fiber.

Also, you might read the links in my signature. They talk about clinically tested dietary measures for reducing symptoms of functional bowel disorders like IBS. They will explain how foods that contain things like lactose such as cottage cheese and milk can worsen IBS symptoms.

I and others on the board have been using a combination of Heather's Eating for IBS diet and teh FODMAP diet with reasonable success. Ask lots of questions there are many knowledgeable people on the board

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: IBS diet and the total, daily amount of calory intake? new
      #367203 - 04/05/12 03:32 PM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

One thing that may explain this is that you may not be lactose intolerant but allergic to lactose? One of my friends has that and she can have dairy freely but only up to a limit per day. if she is below that, she's fine, if she's above, problems start... I am severely lactose intolerant and I can't have any dairy. even butter and hard cheeses cause me problems, which are generally well tolerated by lactose intolerant people.

substitute snack dairy with something lactose free. soya milk perhaps and egg whites or chicken instead of cottage cheese? and look into dairy allergy not intolerance!

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2828 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1707

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review