All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Kinnikinnick English Muffins
      #367177 - 04/03/12 04:36 AM
heatherrenee

Reged: 04/23/07

Hi Everyone!

I have been eating gluten free (I am gluten intolerant) and I found english muffins by Kinnikinnick and was wondering if they were safe. One of the ingredients is polydextrose, which has 10% sorbitol - I am very sensative to sorbitol. However, it is listed toward the bottom, so maybe it's a small amount? Here are the ingredients, could you please take a look at them and let me know what you think?

Water, White Rice Flour, Egg Whites, Tapioca Starch, Potato Starch, Sugar, Yeast, Sunflower Oil (may contain Sunflower and/or Canola Oil(), Poly Dextrose, Dextrose, Sodium Carboxy Methylcellulose, Salt, Pea Protein, Vitamin Blend(Thiamine, Vitamin B2, Niacin, Folic Acid, Iron).

Thanks so much,
Heather

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kinnikinnick English Muffins new
      #367179 - 04/03/12 06:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Polydextrose is an indigestible polymer of glucose. It is a synthetic soluble fiber. It does not actually contain sorbitol. Sorbitol, glucose and citric acid are the components in the process used to produce it. The FDA requires the label and labeling of food a single serving of which would be expected to exceed 15 grams of the additive shall bear the statement: "Sensitive individuals may experience a laxative effect from excessive consumption of this product".

It is something you may have to try to find out if it is a problem for you in the English muffins.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Kinnikinnick English Muffins new
      #367186 - 04/03/12 10:23 AM
heatherrenee

Reged: 04/23/07

That's great information, Syl. Thanks so much!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3564 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1812

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review