Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
FODMAP Approach
      #367105 - 03/25/12 08:51 AM
kristy86

Reged: 03/11/12
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Good Morning!

I am still struggling to get my belching/nausea under control. I feel like I have a gas pocket right under my breastbone and belch constantly. Sometimes i also feel like I might throw up...although I don't actually do that. Those are my main symptoms that drive me crazy!

I have been reading a lot about the FODMAP approach and want to give it a try. I have read the food list and I had a couple of questions:

1) Is almond milk acceptable?
2) Are gluten free pasta/breads/cereals ok across the board?

I noticed that lactose-free yogurt is also listed as acceptable, although I think dairy is discouraged in general for IBS folks.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that is following a low FODMAP diet and what kind of success they are having. I am willing to try anything at this point to get some relief. I am going into my sixth month of this after multiple tests, colonoscopy, treatment for H-Pylori...you name it.

Hope everyone has a good day today!

-Kristy

--------------------
Diagnosed with IBS-C March 2012
Primary Symptom - Nausea
New and struggling to figure this out

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FODMAP Approach new
      #367106 - 03/25/12 09:32 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have been following the FODMAP approach in combination with Heather's diet for about 4 years with reasonable success. You can read more about the first two links in my signature.

1) Almond milk is ok
2) All gluten free products are ok as long as they don't contain other FODMAP ingredients. However, if you have been tested for celiac disease and you were negative then you may only need to remove or reduce wheat consumption.

Some people can handle lactose free yogurt while others cannot.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367108 - 03/25/12 01:02 PM
nutritionlover

Reged: 09/18/11

I used to get this same symptom severely, I once burped non stop for two days. It can be absolute misery. I will tell you that this is probably not IBS, but more likely GERD or a Hiatal Hernia, both of which I have (in addition to IBS). The number one thing that has helped me is taking Zegerid (A PPI like Prilosec, but slightly different). I would discuss this with a GI doctor. I was previously on Aciphex (another PPI) but that didn't do the trick. Also, following a GERD diet is very helpful. Some triggers are the same as IBS, like fat and caffeine, but others are different. You will want to avoid all tomatoes and citrus, garlic of any kind (even powder), as well as peppermint and chocolate/cocoa of any kind (yes, unfortunately fat free cocoa is a huge problem for GERD even though it is safe for IBS). Also make sure to never eat past the point of fullness or too close to going to sleep. Mylanta gas and OTC antacids will provide mild relief as well. Let me know if you have any more questions because I haven't come across too many people with this symptom, but what you are describing sounds exactly like what I have experienced as well.

--------------------
IBS A (more D than C). Severe GERD & Hiatal Hernia as well.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Edited by nutritionlover (03/25/12 01:04 PM)

#367127 - 03/27/12 08:31 AM
kristy86

Thanks for the response nutritionlover!

I haven't come across many others with these same symptoms. Glad to hear you have figured it out. I hope I can as well. I am going to the gastro this morning to follow up. Prilosec has not helped me thus far so I will ask about Zegerid. I was also given triple therapy for H Pylori eradication and have to re-test. GERD is usually caused by TOO MUCH acid, as opposed to not enough acid...is that a true statement? I don't know much about it yet...

I am beginning to wonder about my IBS diagnosis. I have had a myriad of tests (including colonoscopy which I had to fight for because I'm 43) but to be honest, I don't have stomach cramping and toilet issues like many others here...yet the doc says he still thinks I have IBS. ????
I have been proceeding as if I do...no harm in following the diet and other advice to see if it helps.

Many Thanks,
Kristy

--------------------
Primary Symptom - Nausea

#367128 - 03/27/12 08:32 AM
kristy86

Thanks Syl!

I appeciate your input. You seem very knowledgable.

Grateful,
Kristy

--------------------
Primary Symptom - Nausea

#367146 - 03/29/12 06:02 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Hi,

Not sure I have too much to add. However, I would say that the FODMAP approach works for many functional gut disorders, including, but not limited to IBS.

Having said that, I think getting a definitive diagnosis is essential and seek a second option if you have any doubts.

Like Syl I've been following the EFI/FODMAP diet for a few years. It is not a panacea, but it does help 75% of people reduce or manage their symptoms.

Best wishes

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5675 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3196

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review