Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New and looking for support
      #366990 - 03/11/12 09:14 AM
kristy86

Reged: 03/11/12
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Hi everyone!

I am new to this IBS diagnosis and very happy to have found this board. I have already read "Eating for Ibs" and "The First Year..". They have both helped me already and I am grateful.

My main symptom is nausea. My gastro tells me that he sees that in many of his patients here in Southern California and he has given me reason to hope that I won't feel this way forever. At the moment, I am really struggling and wondered what advice any of you might have for foods to eat, things to take that might help relieve the nausea.

The fiber and peppermint and fennel tea have really helped to put my bathroom time back on track. Now if I could get on top of the nausea....

Thanks ahead of time for any responses...I am truly grateful that this website exists.

Sincerely,
Kristy

--------------------
Diagnosed with IBS-C March 2012
Primary Symptom - Nausea
New and struggling to figure this out

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New and looking for support new
      #366991 - 03/11/12 09:40 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

You may find the information in the first two links in my signature helpful for relieving nausea. I use the dietary approach outlined in these article in conjunction with Heather's diet with reasonable success.

Ask lots of questions. There are many knowledgeable people on these boards.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366992 - 03/11/12 01:56 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hello Kristy and welcome -

I have found that actually chewing on the fennel seeds

http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/teas/fennel.asp

helps nausea - you can either swallow them or spit them out - tho this may not be something you want to do, but it has helped me in the past.

You may also want to consider hypnotherapy, which is helpful for nausea also - http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/books/hypnoibs.asp

Scroll down to the chart - and nausea is listed in the fifth symtpom reduction column.

Feel free to ask any questions - always happy to help and all the best to you.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#366993 - 03/12/12 05:43 PM
nutritionlover

Reged: 09/18/11

Because your main symptom is nausea, I would double check with your gastro to make sure you don't have gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying). You can have this in conjunction with IBS, or not. It's easy to diagnose, you just go for a gastric emptying scan where you eat eggs or oatmeal and they take x-rays as you digest. If you do have delayed emptying, the number one way to help is to eat very small meals frequently (never let yourself get too full).

Ginger is also very helpful for nausea, I myself love ginger chews (Reed's or The Ginger people make good ones) and eat them all day haha, and ginger tea is good too. You might also want to ask your doctor about anti-emetics (anti-nausea meds). Zofran is pretty benign in terms of side effects, it doesn't knock you out like a lot of the others do.

--------------------
IBS A (more D than C). Severe GERD & Hiatal Hernia as well.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 377 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2222

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review