All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HELP what am I doint wrong
      #366843 - 02/10/12 09:54 AM
gassymichael

Reged: 11/08/08

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping you could give me some advice on my IBS, I seem to be getting no where controlling it.

Cut a long story short - 3 years ago I had colonoscopy given all clear diagnosis IBS

recently came out of hospital from back surgery only to go down with C-Diff, took the antibiotics that really messed me up. I finished the course 10 days ago and started to try and put my gut back on track. Just following a light food diet and taking heathers peppermint tablets.

Great! This tuesday go down with heavy cold just when bowels were starting to look a tiny bit more normal, more formed less mucus.

Thursday morning start to go back down hill again, I took my first dose of tummy fibre on wednesday. Thursday my VSL3 arrives and take two doses, but today wake up with being very gurgly followed by loose and colon spasms, now feeling weak.

If I go to the docs they will just tell me IBS, no red flag symptoms, onset is always the monring with waking and dies down by the afternoon. no blood, just loose and crampy.

So my real quaestion is, am I over doing it with different potions and would the cold and flu syrups upset the tummy?

I know VSL3 probiotic can make you gassy so can heathers tummy fibre initially.

any advise on how to get my system back to normal as possible would be appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HELP what am I doint wrong new
      #366845 - 02/10/12 04:23 PM
gassymichael

well after spending the day killing mysef with anxiety after seeing the most tiny of streak of blood in mucus, I learned that probiotics can cause all the side effects I have, bloating gas, and D !

I am taking VSL#3 which is potent,my guess is I over did it

Anyone elses thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by gassymichael (02/10/12 04:24 PM)

#366846 - 02/11/12 05:41 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Check the ingredients in the OTC cold and flu meds. They could be triggers. I stay away from such products as much as possible.

Have C-Diff and taking an antibiotic plus having a cold could upset you system and it may take a while before things settle down.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366847 - 02/11/12 05:49 AM
Syl

If the tiny amount of blood was red then it is likely from an internal hemroid or small tear in the lining from straining or excessive D. VSL#3 can cause bloating but it usually doesn't cause D. Are you taking the recommended dose?

Are you slowly increasing the soluble fiber? It would helpful if you could post the meals and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days. It might give us some clues.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#366848 - 02/11/12 06:58 AM
gassymichael

Hi

Prior Tuesday I was eating very bland, chicken potatoes, or chicken and rice, I was having oatmeal for breakfast and lunch mainly soup with toast.

On wednesday i went out and had lunch with my wife, chicken noodle soup and chicken salad wrap. In the evening (oops) I had chicken pasta rose sauce dish with salad. That same evening I took my first dose of VSL3.

Thursday morning woke to loose stools and some cramps, put it down to meal night before and gave myself a kick, I then took on Thursday two sachets one in the morning and one at night of VSL3

Friday morning woke to major gurgles, no pain. went to the bathroom and thats when the lower bowel went into spasm, not so much abdominal cramping just muscle spasm. It was Friday afternoon I passed the mucus with the tiniest hair of blood, would of missed it if I was not so paranoid about my gut!

Being re tested for C-Diff, but even doc says easily can get false positive and that it sounded like my system had faught it off and the antibiotics have screwed me up.

Anybody that can help me with an IBS eating plan I would so appreciate it, thanks in advance.

Edited by gassymichael (02/11/12 07:00 AM)

#366849 - 02/11/12 08:31 AM
Syl

Yes C-Diff and the antibiotics can mess things up for a while. You may have to take it easy for a couple of weeks food wise. It might be best to stick with the recommended dose at least for a week or so.

If the salad wrap had raw veggies such as lettuce and you are IBS-D then it could be the problem. Raw veggies in wraps and salads can be a problem for individuals with IBS-D. I know if I ate one then I would have D with 8-10 hours. You can read more about it here. If you read that web page a few others that it links to you may get some more insight on how to manage IBS symptoms.

--------------------

#366853 - 02/11/12 10:43 AM
gassymichael

Great advise thanks.

I had to do another culture today at the walk in, so will get results of the C-Diff in about 5 days, although there is strong chance of a false positive only 10 days post treatment, and if i can manage things naturally I will, last thing i want is more antibiotics.

#366854 - 02/11/12 02:43 PM
gassymichael

Is baked chicken ok, no skin?

Nasty boat of D this afternoon, convinced myself C-Diff was back. then liz reminded me I tried a can of ginger ae to sooth my tummy (thinking giner would be good) I then read about the trigger foods

#366855 - 02/11/12 03:36 PM
Syl

Baked chicken without the skin is fine.

Yes - ginger ale frequently contains high fructose corn syrup. Check the first link in my signature for more information of problematic foods for IBS.

--------------------

#366856 - 02/11/12 03:41 PM
gassymichael

Thanks yes I just read through your great links, you have so much amazing info.

I have just taken my first half teasoon of fibre, next up boiled potato and chicken

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1376 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4458

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review