Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
SIBO test
      #366678 - 01/16/12 09:35 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi all!
So I've got this test scheduled at the end of January and while during my research, it seems like SIBO often can occur alongside IBS. Does anyone have any experience with this? What was the test like? Doesn't sound too bad...

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SIBO test new
      #366679 - 01/16/12 10:27 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

I had this test and subsequent treatment for sibo twice. The test is not bad. I drank a little lactulose and then my breath samples were taken (in mylar collection balloons) every 15 minutes for some time. Too bad the treatment did not work.

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#366682 - 01/16/12 04:36 PM
Timothy

Reged: 08/12/11

Hi Aly,

Have you tried any good probiotics? I haven't had the test, but I'm feeling like I probably have SIBO.

SYL mentioned VSL#3 in another post for good probiotics. I started on it a week ago and my gas and bloating are about gone. My bowels are regular and my appetite is back. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis last summer and had IBS for the last two years.

#366683 - 01/16/12 05:57 PM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

You come in to the clinic fasting and drink a cup of lactulose, then you breath into a device every 15-30 min for like 3 hours. About 45 min into the test i had to run to the bathroom, it made me nausea and gave me D. My test came back borderline and they gave me that new antibiotic (xifaxin? i think it was). The first week i felt great then just ok. Its been like 4 months since then. I wouldnt call it a cure but its possible it did help some. I also take probiotics, colostrum, and Heathers Fiber

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

#366688 - 01/17/12 09:02 AM
Aly

I was on align for a few years...helped slightly. Then I found this: saccharomyces boulardii. It really helped...but I have to be off probiotics for 4 weeks before the test.. alas, I feel miserable! So hopefully once it's over I will go right back on it. The VSL sounds like a good one too...
thanks!

--------------------
IBS-A

#366689 - 01/17/12 09:03 AM
Aly

I am supposed to drink glucose instead of the lactulose they said. not sure if thats really a huge difference.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm really not too concerned, but its nice to hear other people's versions!

--------------------
IBS-A

#366690 - 01/17/12 09:04 AM
Aly

thanks! I wouldn't be surprised if I did test positive, but like you, I'm worried the treatment will not cure all. We'll see...

--------------------
IBS-A

#366693 - 01/17/12 10:08 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The lactulose test produces many false positives. Over the past few years they have moved to using glucose which does have as many false positives.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366699 - 01/17/12 02:22 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

The test was easy (I didn't find the lactulose that bad - glucose for the glucose tolerance test was much worse). The hardest part, as you've found, is giving up probiotics for so long! I find both Align and Culturelle effective.

SIBO treatment gave me some relief for awhile (this was almost 2 years ago) but in the last several months I've noticed a worsening of symptoms again, so I wonder if I need to repeat.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#366701 - 01/17/12 07:10 PM
Aly

Thanks for the response. I am hating being off probiotics, but at least I've proven to myself how helpful they are!!
I'm drinking glucose not lactulose, so we'll see how that goes for me. *finger crossed!*

--------------------
IBS-A

#366703 - 01/18/12 05:11 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

The whole SIBO theory and treatment (The Cedars Sinai Protocol) is thoroughly described in the book "A New IBS Solution" by Dr. Mark Pimentel. To me, it is a very plausible theory and the book is well worth reading. Nevertheless, it did not work for me after going through the full protocol including Vivonex.

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#366704 - 01/18/12 06:22 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

A New IBS Solution was published in 2006 and so far the evidence to support Dr. Pimentel's theory has not been forth coming as witnessed by the FDA's refusal to grant permission for the use of Rifaximin, a non-absorbable antibiotic, to treat IBS. Furthermore, SIBO has only been confirmed to occur in less than 4% of the IBS population.

An editorial in the New England Journal of Medicine stated "... the therapeutic gain, with the rates of response to treatment (i.e., adequate relief) ranging between 9 and 12% more with rifaximin than with placebo, is in the lower spectrum of what is considered to be clinically relevant." Furthermore there are concerns about the repeated use of non-absorbable antibiotics because it has yet to be demonstrated that they are effective in the long term and usually they need to be taken repeatedly. Among other things the FDA is concerned about the problem of antibiotic resistance with long term use of antibiotics to treat SIBO.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1691 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11083

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review