All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gas
      #366628 - 01/04/12 10:15 AM
weo

Reged: 12/09/11

The diet for IBS seems to be producing alot of Gas. I read in another pulication from a Phd. nutritionist, that soluble fiber is a sourc of gas. I am confused, since the IBS diet is primarily soluble fiber,and I would want to avoid gassy foods.?........Anyone?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas new
      #366629 - 01/04/12 11:22 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Not all soluble fiber is gassy. It depends on the fermentation rate of the soluble fiber. For example inulin which is used as a soluble fiber supplement rapidly fermented causing problems for many IBS suffers. Other soluble fibers like guar gum and wheat dextrin are slower fermenting. However, you could try products that contain methylcellulose and polycarbophil such as FiberCon and Citrucel which are non-fermentable soluble fiber supplements making them less likely to cause intestinal gas.

You might check the FODMAP diet discussed in the first two links of my signature. This diet is designed specifically to reduce the consumption of foods that contain ingredients that can be malabsorbed in the small intestine but easily fermented in the large intestine to produce gas.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366630 - 01/04/12 05:29 PM
weo

Reged: 12/09/11

Thanks Ive got the FODMAP paper, I am looking for a more exstensive list. I also get the suppliment ideas. What I was referring to is the IBS diets basis in almost all souluble fiber, bread, rice etc. The refferal was indicating that souluble fiber in general, with some exception, causes gas and this flys in the face of the IBS diet, hence my confusion. I did indeed experience an uptick in gas on Heathers diet.?...
WEO

#366635 - 01/05/12 03:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I guess you face the same problem if you ate whole grain carbs such as brown rice, whole grain breads or most fruits and veggies because they contain soluble fiber too but in addition they contain a lot more insoluble fiber.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2984 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5745

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review