All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about iron supplements and miralax
      #366622 - 01/01/12 11:25 AM
Leah71

Reged: 11/11/07

My iron is really low and my doctor wants me take an iron supplement. I've tried a few that were very constipating and now on BiFera. At my gastro doc's recommendation I'm taking Miralax daily to help with the constipation. Now I'm going but having incomplete bowel movements and am bloated and gassy. I'm very frustrated. Wondering if anyone knows of other iron supplements which are more gentle and whether taking Miralax ongoing can cause more IBS issues. Thanks.

IBS-C (at times alternate D), GERD

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about iron supplements and miralax new
      #366623 - 01/02/12 01:13 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

this may not be of much help if you need to take a lot more than your daily needs (if you are anemic your doctor will probably prescribe a larger amount)
but I use the cheapest garden variety:
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1325495364859

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/media/images/products/OBRU005/01585339_OBRU005_2_Spec2_v1_m56577569834062190.jpg

and have no problems whatsoever. I used to take a respectable proper brand name iron supplement in the past (sorry but don't remember what it was ), and it had disastrous consequences, I once took it on an empty stomach (apparently iron is better absorbed that way) and then threw up 4 mins later. Wasn't v pleasant... But I never had trouble with these cheap vitamins/minerals from any of the big UK supermarkets and I have tried/ currently take a whole host of different types ranging from iron, calcium, vit D to the B vitamins...

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#366706 - 01/18/12 01:22 PM
ClintS

Reged: 01/18/12
Loc: South Carolina

My experience with Miralax on several occasions is that it can definitely exacerbate bloating and gas in IBS. For these reasons, I no longer use it. I'm sorry I cannot speak to non-constipating iron supplements, but surely there is another product besides Miralax that you can use, although iron supplements are best absorbed in the presence of ascorbic acid (another IBS complicator) and taking iron supplements generally take quite a long time before the effects show up in terms of a Hemoglobin or Hematocrit test for anemia. IBS-C, Barrett's esphophagitis/GERD

--------------------
Clint Stevens
IBS-C; 2 colectomies from diverticulitis; Barrett's esophagitis/GERD

#366734 - 01/23/12 01:35 AM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

I'm also diagnosed with iron deficiency lately (6.9). I had to try ferrofumarate, but it aggravates my gastric pain when I only take 1 pill per day (need to take 3).
It caused cramps and diarrea first, but after that I got constipated.
So I'm also interested in better tolerated substitutes, so reading along!

I'm also using a stoolsoftener (macrogol, it's like miralax I guess) for over a year now. It works ok for me (don't have much bloating), although sometimes I think it gives me some pain.
But I get very full/nauseous when the consistency is a tiny bit to hard, and SFS do not work for me..

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5286 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8829

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review