All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
a question about oats
      #366606 - 12/28/11 08:56 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

hi everyone, i'd very much like to add some oatmeal to my diet because of the health benefeits, however my tum is very sensative, i was wondering if i took old fashioned oats and put them in a blender intill they became a fine powder like flour would they retain the ratio of 1.5 IF to 1.5 sf or would this change them to something else? i want to add this flour to bread and baked goods to make them healthier.

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: a question about oats new
      #366607 - 12/28/11 10:19 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Presumably you mean old fashion oatmeal not oats as oats can contain the bran. Grinding oatmeal does not change the amount fiber its contains.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366608 - 12/28/11 10:37 AM
Dizzy

hi Syl, thanks so much, yep just old fashioned quaker oats, i'm looking forward to trying this experiment, i'm hoping that as they will be more broken down it might be easier to digest

--------------------

#366609 - 12/28/11 11:42 AM
nutritionlover

Reged: 09/18/11

I know not everyone here does well with oats, but my stomach is super sensitive like yours and I do well with them. I think it must be an individual thing, but oatmeal seems to be one of the few foods I always do well with. If you want to eat actual oatmeal, just make sure it's cooked really well (aka the oats aren't chewy). If you want to make oat flour, just make sure it's really well ground. You can also buy oat flour, although it depends on where you shop if they carry it. I do a lot of cooking with oat flour because I don't eat much wheat. My only recommendation is to not use oat flour alone in a bread, because it will be very heavy. It's good alone in cookies, but in breads it's best in a 50:50 ratio with All Purpose flour or a lighter gluten free flour like rice.

--------------------
IBS A (more D than C). Severe GERD & Hiatal Hernia as well.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Edited by nutritionlover (12/28/11 12:54 PM)

#366875 - 02/13/12 12:22 PM
rebeccaneal

Reged: 01/29/12

It sounds like you have similar symptoms to me ... are you using hypnotherapy CDs or going to a therapist? I'd be interested to know whether you find it helps - I am not sure whether to order the CDs recommended on this website as the nearest hynotherapy clinic that does gut-focussed stuff is rather a long way from where I live...

FYI new
      #366876 - 02/13/12 01:05 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The hypnosis CDs were made by Micheal Mahony in Warrington. You can buy them in the UK from this web site. It may cost less due to shipping, etc. Also, as I recall if you go to Whorwell's clinic for hypnosis they provide CDs and the NHS pays for them I believe.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366877 - 02/13/12 01:12 PM
Dizzy

hi,
i've done the michael mahoney cd's twice through and i just started a gut directed hypno therapy with a local phycologist who is also helping with a food phobia, i have extremely high anxiety every time i vere off the soluble foods only diet and it's gotton worse, i am hoping the combo of cognitive behavior therapy to deal with phobia along with the gut directed hypno therapy will help me get to a better place

--------------------

Re: FYI new
      #366878 - 02/13/12 02:58 PM
rebeccaneal

Reged: 01/29/12

Oh! I have checked out the website for Peter Whorwell's clinic and thought it was only appointments that they did for hypnotherapy, CDs would be so much better for me in terms of time and travel costs. I did ring their office and left a message on their answer machine asking whether they had any resources that could be used from home but no response yet. I've also booked an appt with my GP to see if she will refer me for just a consult at least... I desperately want to get better than I am, today has been so tough with the pain being there all the time :-(

Update to this post - the NHS doesn't pay for anything hypnotherapy related at the moment and this clinic only gives CDs to people who have had a course of hypnotherapy sessions there already and have been trained to use them properly. The Michael Mahoney ones are available to anyone though so if I can't afford to go to Prof Whorwell's clinic I might give them a go instead!

Edited by rebeccaneal (02/14/12 10:15 AM)

#366882 - 02/14/12 08:15 AM
SandraHoutz

Reged: 05/23/11
Loc: central PA

I just made some steel cut oats the other day ... and found I loved them and my tummy didn't mind them. I hate that instant stuff in the packets ... it's not even close to real oatmeal anymore ickky stuff ... our local store even carries something bulk called Baby Flake oats, they are much smaller than the old fashioned flaked oat but not all crushed up I used Bob's Red Mill brand of the steel cut and just boiled the water added the oats and turned them off and left them on the stove till the am and they were perfectly cooked

Re: FYI new
      #366888 - 02/15/12 07:09 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

I am in direct contact w Michael Mahoney as his patient support associate. His protocol has been accepted at St. Luke's GI Hospital in London after a year's trial with their severest IBS patients.

The IBS Audio Program CDs came about when patients with severe IBS could not travel to his practice. The entire program costs less than one single session of in-person therapy and has been helping most people with IBS effectively since 1998.

If you have any questions, I am happy to help.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1098 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7524

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review