All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Floating/Sinking BM
      #366538 - 12/14/11 10:04 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Reged: 03/15/10

I have a question regarding BM's. I tend to have IBS-C and my BM's will be broken up. The vast majority of the time, they tend to float. This happens with or without the presence of gas throughout that day. Occasionally, during the same BM, if they are broken up, some will float and some will sink. Does this have any significance? I also have Fructose Malabsorption, and have read conflicting articles on what it means when a BM floats. Has anyone looked into this? Does it even matter?

--------------------
----------------------------------------------
Likely IBS-C and Fructose Malabsorption
Undiagnosed and going through testing process

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Floating/Sinking BM new
      #366540 - 12/15/11 05:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Generally speaking it doesn't matter. You might find this discussion from Columbia University of interest. Have you been checked for Crohn's and Celiac disease?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366652 - 01/10/12 01:49 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Hi Syl,

Sorry for the late reply on this. I have had blood tests done for celiac and they have not shown any problems. I have not been tested for Chrohn's.

On an additional note, here are some blood test results I have had recently. I'm not sure if you are able to offer any advice:

White blood cell count low, around 3,200ish
Liver enzymes *low*, not sure on counts
*went back in for testing on both, and they appeared to be better, and the doctors did not believe further testing was needed. Although I have had various colds/cough for 11 weeks now, straight, and just had a very sore throat on the left side only, with swollen glands in the upper left part of my neck. I'm going in again in a couple days to get all of this looked at.

Also, I have difficulty putting on weight. I am not losing it rapidly, outside of a couple rare occurrences, but I seem to need different calorie amounts at different times. Here is what I have seen over the last year:

*all figures are net calories, total calories - exercise
First 4 months: 2,700 *net* calories (about 2,950 gross)
Weight change: 150 to 168
Change: +18 pounds

Next 4 months: 2,650 *net* calories
Weight change: 168 to 162
Change: -6 pounds

Next 4 months: 2,595 *net* calories (hardly any exercise)
Weight change: 162 to 158
Change: -4 pounds

That's a pretty large change in weight. I tracked calories on a daily basis, and they should be very accurate. The year before was very similar to this, in that I shot up in weight, from 170 pounds to 192 (all time high), only to lose it all back and go to 150 pounds (all time low). There were only slight differences in calories consumed during that year, with the weight loss happening during a time that my calories should have maintained my weight.

Can IBS, or Fructose Malabsorption cause issues like this?

--------------------

#366655 - 01/11/12 06:02 AM
Syl

Hi,

Good to hear your test results were negative.

I am not sure how you are using the term *net* calories. Usually net calories is the difference between the calories you consumed and the calories you expended. If you are losing weight the net value will be negative. For example, if you eat 2000 calories and spent 2100 calories you net caloric intake is (2100-2000) or -100 calories.

Since you are losing weight you are either eating less than you expend and you net calorie intake is negative or you have a disease, disorder or other health issues. Since your doctor gave you a clean bill of health you are likely eating fewer calories than you expend.

One pound of body fat has about 3500 calories. If you are losing 4 to 6 lbs per month then your caloric deficit or net calorie is about -120 to -175 calories per day which is about equivalant to a medium banana or glass of orange juice.

Neither IBS nor fructose malabsorption is likely to account for the weight loss useless they are causing you to eat less than normal.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#366658 - 01/11/12 08:27 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Hey Syl,

Net calories is simply a term I used to put my total calories into better perspective. What I mean by 'net calories', is the amount of calories that remain, on average, per day, after subtracting exercise. I've tracked my calories for years, and although I've always had difficulty putting on weight, I've never experienced anything like this. Hopefully I'm just eating less calories than I need. Here's a better breakdown of what I meant by the numbers:

Normal Week:
20,650 calories consumed (2,950 average per day)
Less: 1,750 calories burned from exercise only (-250 avg per day)
Equals: NET CALORIES of 18,900 (2,700 avg per day)

That was a typical week for me. During the first 4 months, the "NET CALORIES" equaled 2,700. I ate 2,950, and burned (from exercise only), an additional 250, for what I use as a revised total of 2,700. My exercise varied over the past few years, so this put the numbers in better perspective for me.

This is what surprised me:

Month 1-4:
Gross Calories: 2,950
After Exercise: 2,700
Harris Benedict Expected Gain: 18.27 lbs
Actual Gain: 18 pounds

Next 4 months:
Calories Eaten: 2,850
After Exercise: 2,650
Harris Benedict Expectation: Gain 16.5 pounds
Actual Change: -6 pounds

That's kind of what I'm experiencing at the moment. Sorry for the long, drawn out, explanation. The calorie numbers are extremely accurate, and broken down daily. The remaining 4 months of the year were the same as the previous 4, and I lost another 4 pounds, but was expected to gain around 12ish. During the last 4 months, I did not exercise, just in case that was throwing my numbers off (although, I've been tracking like this for years).

I have an appointment with the doctor again and will bring this up, just in case it's something to note. I'll continue working on eating more and more, though!

--------------------

#366659 - 01/12/12 06:13 AM
Syl

The Harris-Benedict equation developed in 1919 is used to estimate BMR is based on averages. The Harris-Benedict equation actually doesn't estimate BMR but rather RMR (resting metabolic rate) because the test subjects did not spend the night at the test facility. Also, the equation does not take into account body composition such as the percentages of muscle and fat composing your body. It is less accurate if you have a non-typical amount of muscle because muscle burns calories and fat does not. Only calorimetry methods are accurate for determinining individual BMR.

The Harris-Benedict equation is known to over estimate weight loss by about 5% and it has an error range of +/- 14% (see reference below). These errors alone could account for the difference between what you are experiencing and the estimations from the equation. By the way in the 1990's the Harris-Benedict equation was replaced with the more accurate Mifflin equation for determining RMR. Some studies suggest that both methods are only accurate when applied to groups of people and should not be used for individual estimates.

There is a fairly good review of equations for calculating BMR and RMR on this web site

Reference
The Harris Benedict equation reevaluated: resting energy requirements and the body cell mass, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, pp 168-182, 1984

--------------------

#366661 - 01/12/12 02:17 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Thanks Syl, I'll check out those links. I should have been a little more specific. My Harris-Benedict equation results in the following:

BMR/RMR: 1795 calories

To account for calories I burn from my lifestyle (not accounting for any exercise of any type, including lengthy walking), I use a multiplier and come up with:

To maintain, at 155 pounds: 2,160 calories
To gain 1 lb/week: 2,660 calories

None of this really matters, though, as my metabolism could be faster, requiring more calories. The problem is, though, that sometimes, this hits spot on, and other times, it's way off.

First 4 months of the year:
Calories remaining after deducting exercise: 2,700
Weight loss/gain: 18 pounds

Next 4 months:
Calories remaining after deducting exercise: 2,650
Weight loss/gain: **-6 pounds**

This repeated itself in the past two years. I'll be stopping in with a doctor to verify, but I'll also just operate under the assumption that I need far more calories for some reason than I used to need.

Additionally, there were times when I lost a ton of weight, all at once. For instance, I took a 3 week trip, ate an average of 2,800 calories, and did normal sightseeing exercise. I lost 15 pounds by the end of the trip. The only difference was the food I was eating (basically, all horrible for FM), and the fact that I had a few days of bad D during that trip (really the only bad D I've ever had).

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1676 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10878

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review