All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
gluten and wheat?
      #366439 - 11/26/11 11:29 AM
michelle868

Reged: 07/18/11
Loc: uk

Hiya Everyone, Ive had IBS for 25years and was only diagnosed this year. Since i was diagnosed ive been doing a food diary and thank goodness i came across this website and ordered heathers books! I follow the plan but have also found that i cant have gluten and wheat. Does anyone else have this problem? I also find going out for meals hard work because i always end up ill. Any tips for eating out would be appreciated. Thank you

--------------------
I've had Ibs all my life and still trying to figure out what to eat??!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: gluten and wheat? new
      #366440 - 11/26/11 11:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Have you been tested for Celiac Disease? Usually individuals that are negative don't have gluten sensitivity. However, you can still have problems with fructans in wheat. You might find some interesting information regarding wheat and functional GI disorders like IBS in the first two links in my signature.

Ask lots of question. There are many knowledgeable people on the board.

Good Luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366441 - 11/26/11 11:47 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Welcome! I avoid gluten and wheat as well. I've not ever been diagnosed but find eliminating them as well as dairy just makes such a difference. Eating out is difficult. I can totally relate, I, too generally don't feel well after. I find it takes some work but, you can find restaurants that will work with you, but, the key is really to find out what your "triggers" are. Keeping a food diary is great as that can help you figure out what those triggers are:) Best of luck!

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

syl-- new
      #366447 - 11/28/11 09:51 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi there!
I haven't posted for awhile, but after the past few months of struggling again, I am back. Doctors have done all they can do with me-- Inconclusive for celiac-- blood tests are positive, biopsies neg, etc... I am really confused. I have been dx with gastroparesis, IBS, & colitis. No good treatment plan.... I am really interested in trying the FODMAP approach. I read the links in your signature and it makes sense to me. I wondered if you had a link or could post some meal ideas--I'm just struggling trying to figure it all out.
Thanks
Aly

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: syl-- new
      #366450 - 11/28/11 11:35 AM
Syl

Hi Aly,

I have not seen a FODMAP meal plan that takes into account other triggers such as insoluble fiber.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#366453 - 11/29/11 09:22 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

what is an average day like for you? i'm struggling to put together a meal plan.
thanks!!

--------------------
IBS-A

#366459 - 11/30/11 05:59 AM
Syl

Hi Aly,

Unfortunately, it is difficult to make a FODMAP meal plan that suits everyone. My meal plan may not be useful for you. Let me explain.

There are five FODMAP food constituents: lactose, fructose, glactans, fructans and polyols. Some people have difficulty with one or two while others may have problems with them all. You may have difficulties with one or two or perhaps all of them. You will have to figure it out by experimenting.

I have problems with lactose, fructose, polyols and galactans but I don't have difficulty with most fructans particularly those found in wheat.

There are breath tests for lactose and fructose. Or you can try eliminating them from your diet and see how it goes. As for the other three you have to eliminate them and see how it goes.

The best thing to do is to use the table at the end of the article and remove FODMAP rich foods and stick with the FODMAP friendly foods. In addition this diet as stated does deal with common IBS triggers such as insoluble fiber, alcohol, caffeine, fat, etc. So it is best to blend the FODMAP approach with Heather's diet.

Basically my diet is

Breakfast - regular oatmeal with banana and two tablespoons homemade concentrated berry juice.

Lunch - 1/4 diced chicken breast & 6 shrimp lightly curried with a tomato paste & light coconut milk sauce with diced peel and well cooked carrots and zucchini on white rice.

Supper - chicken, turkey, fish or seafood, carrots and rice, potato, pasta or couscous.

Very simple - very plain.

I hope this helps

--------------------

Re:aly new
      #366464 - 11/30/11 02:17 PM
bclark

Reged: 07/29/11
Loc: New England

my husband is in the same boat. he has struggled for 10 yrs now. after repeated blood tests and biopsies for celiac, they were contradictory or inconclusive. they need a better way to dx this disease. being the researcher i am i went looking for the answers. the doctors were no help so he adopted the diet religiously. it has been 1 yr and the improvement is astounding. it did take time but he is doing really well now. if i could be so lucky. don't rule out the celiac dx. it can go undetected and make your life hell.

Re: gluten and wheat...me too! new
      #366504 - 12/06/11 05:23 PM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

Hi Michelle,
You're not alone! I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 10 years ago, and only just this past year found out the ibs-c diagnosis. It's definitely a hard diet to follow (the combination of the 2), and eating out is extremely tough. I find plenty to eat at home, but I do quite a lot of cooking/baking. I think it would be harder to find out the ibs first and then have to adjust to the gluten intolerance later. I was already used to having to bake my own breads and muffins, etc (or buy expensive ones!!), and I know that is a really tough thing at first. It's best to start out slowly, trying to find just one good bread, one good basic muffin, a pancake mix, etc., and add those in to the ibs diet. You can gradually add to your recipes as you feel more stable physically and get a handle on how to cook GF. I'm able to make a variety of delicious quick breads, and have found a bread mix that I can make to fit both diets. This allows me to make toast or sandwiches or have "cheese" bread with a pasta dish, etc. You just have to be careful about more label ingredients than you did with just the ibs, watching out for words that might mean gluten/wheat.

Eating out is another story!!! It was difficult when I only knew about my gluten issues, but I had managed to find ways to still eat out with my family or go to dinners with my husband. The meals I ordered looked kind of plain compared to others, and my choices were more limited, but I still found it worth the effort. It's a different story with the addition of the ibs restrictions. Honestly, I've only eaten out twice since July! Fast food is simply OUT. Really nice restaurants are your safest bet by far because the chefs will be so much more knowledgeable and willing to cook to order. They also tend to use truly fresh foods- chicken, fish, and shrimp that don't already have batter on them- so you can ask to have these prepared broiled or baked with only a tiny amount of oil and some garlic salt or other spices (no "seasoning packets"). Order a plain baked potato or a baked sweet potato with just cinnamon and sugar but no butter. Some restaurants have gluten-free pasta they can boil for you. This is a real treat! Plain pasta with shrimp or chicken diced up in it with garlic or lemon makes a great meal. I am still so much in "recovery" mode that I don't yet dare any veggies or a salad of any kind. Maybe someday I'll ask for very well cooked veggies ("mashable" carrots or beans, etc) or END my meal with a tiny salad with a gluten free dressing (better bring that one with you!). I never try dessert. There are places that serve fantastic gluten free desserts, but believe me, they aren't ibs-safe. Better to have something yummy made-up at home that you can anticipate after you get back from the restaurant!

Hope this isn't discouraging. Like I said, eating at home can be just fine once you know the "rules" and good ways of substituting. Eating out is just not real exciting anymore (unless you can afford to go out for lobster tail, crab legs, and shrimp cocktail regularly!!). I usually just try to make creative ways to make special meals at home, or take my own homemade meal along if we're going to eat with friends. It's nice when I'm able to mimic the meal they're planning so my meal doesn't have to look so different, but that's not always possible. It's a bummer at times, but not anything like how bad it is to have an attack, right?!!

Do a search on the message boards for gluten free...I know there are others who have posted in the past, and I've posted ideas a few times (only been on since this summer). There's even a muffin recipe in one of Heather's newsletters that's gluten free.

Good luck! Hope you're feeling well
KellyJean

#366505 - 12/07/11 07:49 AM
v123diaz

Reged: 08/31/11

I have the same problem, although I tested negative for celiac disease I found gluten and wheat gave me digestive problems and increased phlegm drip. Going out to eat can be hard, I usually try to stick with things like yam or potato, brown rice or quinoa for my grains. Also I am able to tolerate a small amount of black beans.

--------------------
-Natalie
IBS-C & bloating, dairy free

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 709 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13568

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review