All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: syl-- new
      #366522 - 12/08/11 08:37 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Reged: 03/15/10

This diet is extremely similar to what I tend to fall back on when things are not going so well. The problem I have is branching out of a diet like this. It's so difficult to combine IF foods with soluble fiber foods...there just aren't enough SF foods out there! Especially b/c I am beginning to wonder if wheat and other fructans are triggers for me as well.

For some reason, tomatoes seem to be a problem for me. They seem to be okay on the FODMAP diet and the diet from this site, so it could be the IF content of them. Is there any way to cut them up and make a homemade spaghetti sauce that would reduce the IF content to a more reasonable level? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I love spaghetti and noticed you are able to eat tomato paste. A good white meat ground turkey, with spaghetti sauce over pasta sounds great right now!

--------------------
----------------------------------------------
Likely IBS-C and Fructose Malabsorption
Undiagnosed and going through testing process

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: syl-- new
      #366523 - 12/09/11 03:48 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have the same problem with tomatoes. So I make a tomatoe sauce from pure tomato paste. It has a lot of the insoluble fiber removed.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

SF supplement perhaps? new
      #366545 - 12/18/11 12:48 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

What I do is drink SFS before a meal containing IF. This way I often eat spinach with chicken without any SF heavy other veggie/grain but the SFS drink at the start of the meal gives me the SF to balance out the excess IF in spinach!

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

IF SF new
      #366546 - 12/18/11 12:51 AM
Susie1985

I've found this link v helpful as a guide:
http://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/File/OurServices/Service_Nutrition_Fiber.pdf

I usually have 50-50% SF-IF and start with SF, usually in SF supplement form and keep the overall amount of IF reasonable.

as you can see one medium raw tomato has 9:1 IF:SF. Tomato sauce is half-half.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Re: IF SF new
      #366555 - 12/19/11 12:43 PM
cookingwnothing

Reged: 12/06/11

Just a question about the link... it says fruits like dried apricots, figs and prunes have more soluble fibre than insolube fibre but Eating for IBS says to be very careful when eating them. Is this for another reason other than soluble fibre content?

--------------------
IBS-D with chronic gas

Reading fiber tables ...... new
      #366556 - 12/19/11 01:25 PM
Syl

An important thing to remember when looking at tables like these is that the values they give are average values.

Looking, for example, at dried figs it says 1 1/2 dried figs contains 1.4 grams soluble and 1.6 grams insoluble fiber.

Take into consideration that the fig you are eating may be a different variety originating from a different part of the world, picked at a different time and dried in a different manner. Perhaps the most accurate thing you can say is that dried figs have roughly equal amounts of soluble and insoluble fiber.

Also consider that unlike dried apricots which also have roughly equal amounts of soluble and insoluble fiber the insoluble fiber in figs from the seeds is not found in apricots since they have a pit which is removed. The type of insoluble fiber can make a difference too.

Prunes may have a bit more soluble than insoluble fiber but they also contain sorbitol which acts like an osmotic laxative. They are not particularly IBS friendly from that perspective.

Fiber tables should only be used as a general guideline to the soluble and insoluble fiber content of foods.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Reading fiber tables ...... new
      #366558 - 12/19/11 09:42 PM
Susie1985

exactly, but I used to assume that some of these fruits are absolute no-goes. but as turns out I have no problem from dried apricots even on a large scale and on an empty stomach and on their own.

prunes I cannot stand so can't comment, and figs I have eaten in small amounts and without D.

may be worth to experiment and whereas that list is merely a guide it is the best one at that!

--------------------

Re: IF SF new
      #366568 - 12/20/11 06:06 PM
nutritionlover

Reged: 09/18/11

I'm confused by this table though, because it says applesauce, bananas and sweet potatoes (among others) all have more IF than SF? That can't be right can it?

--------------------
IBS A (more D than C). Severe GERD & Hiatal Hernia as well.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

There is missing information in fiber tables .... new
      #366569 - 12/20/11 07:05 PM
Syl

This missing information is the amount of functional fiber such as resistant starch. Functional fiber acts like a soluble fiber.

Bananas, applesauce, sweet potatoes, potatoes, rice and a variety of other foods contain resistant starch. When you add the amount of resistant starch to the amount of soluble fiber then some of these foods will have more soluble fiber than insoluble fiber.

Unfortunately, very few tables give the amount of functional fiber in foods and it isn't required by labeling laws. For a full description of how functional fiber fits into the total dietary fiber picture read this posting

--------------------

Re: There is missing information in fiber tables .... new
      #366605 - 12/26/11 11:25 PM
Susie1985

sorry I automatically always add on the resistant starch but forgot to mention it, thanks Syl!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3351 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13696

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review