All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Maple syrup problem?
      #366396 - 11/13/11 08:06 AM
Texastornado

Reged: 09/17/11

Man! I made the delicious Vermont Maple Pie last night and after eating a small slice I felt horrible. Stomach cramps and just an almost nauseous feeling. I thought that was odd and probably just a fluke that it would happen since that pie is in the IBS cookbook. So i had waffles this morning and poured a little maple syrup on it.. I'm getting that slight feeling of what i had last night. Could i be allergic to Maple syrup.. or is it the sugars? Ugh! The syrup was pure maple..not the fake stuff. Anyone else with IBS have an issue with maple syrup? Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Maple syrup problem? new
      #366397 - 11/13/11 08:52 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have problems with some grades of maple syrup. You may have problems with foods that contain more fructose than glucose i.e. fructose malabsorption. Lower grades such as the grade B and A maple syrup can have more fructose than glucose. You might try a higher grade such as fancy. Furthermore as explained in the article the ratio of fructose to glucose can vary greatly from grade to grade and batch to batch.

You can read more about problems with excess fructose and other FODMAPS for individuals with functional GI disorders such as IBS in the first two links in my signature. Unfortunately, the accompanying table in the first link suggests maple syrup is safe but the author does not discuss the grade of maple syrup.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366398 - 11/13/11 09:55 AM
Texastornado

Reged: 09/17/11

Thank you for your reply. I will check in to it more. I have Grade A maple syrup. And it's so good.. but i'll have to stay away from it, i guess. It's not worth it.

#366408 - 11/15/11 03:56 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

Syl...what grades are good?

I thought buying natural maple syrup was a ok (dark or amber)?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 403 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2606

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review