All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Flour Confusion - What is safe?
      #366335 - 10/31/11 12:47 PM
KareBear

Reged: 05/30/11
Loc: Arizona

Alright, I thought that I understood the whole flour issue but I think I am wrong. I thought that things marked enriched or bleach wheat flour were safe and to stay away from anything that said Whole Wheat Flour. I am asking because I read in one of Heather's Books that you could eat animal crackers or graham crackers as a snack. So, I went to the store and bought both making sure that both brands I bought did not say Whole Wheat Flour. They didn't so I thought they were safe. I have been using them for a snack as I am in desperate need of some variety. Yet, in reading a different post about Graham Crackers there seems to be some controversy as to whether a regular off the shelf brand is safe. My stomach has been touchy lately and now I think maybe I am "poisoning" my system with the wrong kind of flour. I am so confused!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Flour Confusion - What is safe? new
      #366336 - 10/31/11 12:52 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What are the ingredients on your graham cracker box?

The Nabisco brand lists the ingredients as

UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), GRAHAM FLOUR (WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT FLOUR), SUGAR, SOYBEAN AND/OR PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, MOLASSES, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SALT, SULFUR DIOXIDE ADDED TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS, CORNSTARCH.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366338 - 10/31/11 01:50 PM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Can I assume the flour in these animal cookies is not whole wheat?

http://www.amazon.com/Barbaras-Bakery-Snackimals-Vanilla-2-125-Ounce/dp/B000Q75354/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320093240&sr=8-3

If so, these look safe to me.

Cheers

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#366339 - 10/31/11 02:58 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You cannot assume anything unless you read the label

Barbara's Bakery gives the ingredients on the web site. The ingredients for the cookies you pointed to on amazon are

INGREDIENTS: ORGANIC UNBLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR, ORGANIC DEHYDRATED CANE JUICE, ORGANIC EXPELLER PRESSED SUNFLOWER OR SAFFLOWER OIL, UNSULPHURED MOLASSES, NATURAL VANILLA WITH OTHER NATURAL FLAVORS, SEA SALT, SOY LECITHIN, BAKING SODA, ALUMINUM FREE BAKING POWDER (NON-GMO CORNSTARCH, BAKING SODA, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE).

No whole wheat listed. Be sure to check the label if you buy them at a store as the can change frequently. I think I might look for some of these for snacks. Thank you for the tip

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366342 - 11/01/11 12:09 PM
KareBear

Reged: 05/30/11
Loc: Arizona

This is where I pound my head on the wall. I miss the part where it said graham flour. I was so concentrated on the enriched wheat flour part, thinking that was okay. That explains the stomach upset. Time to send the remaining crackers to my sister's house:) Thank you so much for pointing that out. I need to get a better grasp at reading labels.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5324 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2683

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review