All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Whole wheat flour?Rolled oats?
      #366192 - 10/04/11 08:46 AM
Texastornado

Reged: 09/17/11

Okay.. i'm getting confused! Is Whole wheat flour, whole gran rolled oats, and natural rolled oats okay for IBS-D? I thought i had read somewhere that whole wheat flour was safe.. but then it read somewhere else that it isn't! I've been eating a cereal with whole wheat flour, malted barley, etc. and i don't "think" it's bothering me.. but now not so sure! Help! (ps.. i do have both books.. am taking acacia fiber and peppermint tummy tamers).

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Whole wheat flour?Rolled oats? new
      #366193 - 10/04/11 09:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board

Check the insoluble fiber web page.

Whole wheat flour, whole wheat bread, whole wheat cereal, wheat bran, whole grains, whole grain breads, whole grain cereals are on the list of foods to eat with caution as the are very high in insoluble and are an IBS trigger for many people.

Rolled oats are a bit different. The husk is remove and sometimes they are called whole grain but usually they contain roughly equal amounts of soluble and insoluble fiber. Many people find them safe.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366194 - 10/04/11 10:08 AM
Texastornado

Thanks! I think i'm about brain dead on reading so much but will check out that link on the fiber.

#366195 - 10/04/11 10:12 AM
Texastornado

Oh my goodness! Whole wheat flour is at the TOP of that list!! Eeek! But i guess since this cereal has 2g of soluble fiber then it balances out and that's why i'm not appearing to have an issue with it. Thanks again for your help and directing me to that page!

also: different kinds of IF new
      #366201 - 10/05/11 04:02 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

For me IF in grains is different from IF in veggies. Wholegrain bread (say with 5g of IF) even with enough SF (at least 5g) causes me D, whereas veggies/fruits (with same amount of 5g IF plus at least 5g SF) don't.

I once accidentally had a cereal with oatbran in it but with enough SF, again, had D.

Rolled oats are completely fine for me though, without SFS, but have to be cooked/microwaved and should not be boiling hot. (RS forms on top which acts as SF when you let oatmeal cool)

(IF insoluble fibre
SF soluble fibre
RS resistant starch
SFS soluble fibre supplement )

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 787 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4816

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review