All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
back to basics or continue?
      #366184 - 10/03/11 11:03 AM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

Last month I got a relapse (probably stress) and still I can't eat what I did before and still have more (daily) symptoms.
I'm now eating just soluble fiber foods (and no FODMAPs + sugar). Banana, cooked courgette, carrots and beets. Chicken, eggwhite and fish.
Before I could have some more (courgette+skin, bell peppers, mild curry powder).
I'm starting to get a little bit concerned about my vitamins..

I'm not sure whether to continue like this, or take a step back again to ease my tummy even more? So I can add the veggies back more slowly??
I'm also concerned if I cut out even more, eventually I won't be able to tolerate anything..??

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: back to basics or continue? new
      #366191 - 10/04/11 07:02 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Usually during and after a flare-up I find it best to drop back to a basic diet for a few days. So maybe it is best to stay away from unpeeled veggies, etc for a while. Also, try puree or mashing your veggies after they are cooked.

Can you take a multivitamin - perhaps a childrens vitamin with few additives and artificial colors/flavors? If you are following the FODMAP diet too be careful of green bell peppers - they contain sorbitol a polyol.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366197 - 10/04/11 01:14 PM
mavera

I did go back to basics (white bread+rice+banana) for 2 days, which seemed to work. But perhaps that was too short for my bowel to ease..

What do you mean with a while? 3 days, 1 week, a few weeks? And can I eat eggwhite, chicken and fish? Just no veggies, what about banana?
I was thinking about some vitaminpills, but I'm not sure if I can have it (mainly vit C). It would be good for me to take them anyway I guess, also if I can get back to my former diet.

Green bell peppers I do not like anyway Just the yellow, orange and red ones! It would be very nive if I could add them back eventually..

--------------------
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#366198 - 10/04/11 04:23 PM
Syl

Wow - you went to the break the cycle mode.

I was thinking of something a little less drastic like removing the insoluble fiber from the veggies by peeling, pureeing them a bit. You can stay with this sort of base diet for a considerable amount of time with no ill effects. Once you get back on course introducing some unpeeled, veggies. Some people get a considerable amount of insoluble fiber back in their diets. Other like me have never been able to. Hopefully you belong to the former group.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#366199 - 10/05/11 02:26 AM
mavera

My basic diet hasn't been much more than break the cycle mode. The only veggies I could eat for months were zucchini, carrots, beets and bell peppers (cooked).

And right now I can only eat peeled cooked zucchini and carrots for veggies and still have increasing symptoms (besides white bread, rice, potatoes, chicken, fish, bananas and rice syrup).

What would you suggest then? Continue or go back to plain break the cycle mode? I'm not sure what you're saying..
I definitely can't handle more veggies..

--------------------

Re: back to basics or continue? - for me depends on the kind of attack new
      #366200 - 10/05/11 03:52 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

I get different symptoms from too much IF (pseudo-D) or too much fat (bowels seizing up and things not moving tricking you into believing that you have C (when of course there is still daily/twice daily BMs except v inadequate ones and there's straining etc)).

I have found that different approaches work for these two different flare-ups.

When I have had too much fat (and get C like symptoms) what I do afterwards is eat a lot of fibre overall, always more SF than IF of course, so a lot of SF supplement but not cutting out IF. This seems to give me relief quicker than dropping to that base diet.

When I have (pseudo-)D from too much IF, I do go back to the base diet, but that for me means that I basically get a lot less fibre than is needed as my required daily intake. (I limit carbs to a certain extent, you see.) If I were to have a lot of fibre but SF>IF (what I do for fat) I'd still have D, it doesn't work.

It appears that when too much IF: there's little stimulation on the base diet and D goes away. With the too much fat it seems that my bowels need stimulation (the right kind) hence the fibre load. (but too much IF would of course result in the worst thing that can ever happen to me personally, which is IF making me want to go 6 times a day but fat sending my bowels into spasms and it seizing up and it not budging despite what IF demands)

personal experience and experimentation, no scientific backing for all this I think.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#366202 - 10/05/11 06:32 AM
Syl

Wow - you have one more veggie on your list than I do. I cannot eat beets. They have too much insoluble fiber for me - about 0.8 gram soluble and 1.4 grams insoluble fiber per 100 grams peeled.

For the 8 years or so the only veggies I have eaten are peeled and well cooked carrots and zucchini, peeled and roasted red/yellow peppers and pure tomato paste which I use in sauces.

I don't eat any fruit except bananas and sometimes a little bit of kiwi fruit but I drink pulp free orange and grapefruit juice for vitamin content particularly vitamin C. And I make a pulp free concentrated juice from frozen mixed berries which I use in sauces and on my oatmeal. It gives more vitamins and lots of antioxidants.

Add fish, fowl, seafood, oatmeal, potatoes, pasta and bread you have my complete diet.

Out of curiousity what does PDS stand for in your signature?

--------------------

#366203 - 10/05/11 08:23 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

This thread brings to mind a question I've been wondering. I, too get concerned that my diet is limited and somewhat repetitive. It's not so much that I mind, but, rather doctors I have seen continue to stress a "variety" of foods and a rotation way of eating. The opinion is based on the fact that if we eat the same things (as in I'm pretty much a chicken and turkey person) that I could develop an allergy to those foods since I eat them so often. Has anyone heard of this being an "issue"???

I also think it is difficult to live in a world where all you hear is how one should eat fruit and vegetables and should not eat white foods (rice, potatoes, etc.) which is certainly not how I could ever eat!

I can't eat beets either (thanks Syl for sharing the fiber contents, etc.)even though I love them! The only fruit I can eat is bananas, but that is interesting about using the juice from the berries, etc...what a great way to add some good things to the diet!

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#366204 - 10/05/11 08:42 AM
Syl

I have never read anything from a reputable source that indicates eating the same foods all of the time is likely to produce food allergies. If this were the case then our ancestors who didn't have grocery stores and supermarkets would have plagued with food allergies.

Rotation eating and food variety is a great way to go if you aren't burden with a disabling disorder like IBS. It is quite surprising how little food variety is required to maintain a healthy diet

--------------------

#366205 - 10/05/11 09:25 AM
mavera

That's a somewhat relieving answer
Although I cannot have berryjuice, tomatopaste/juice and orangejuice (not totally sure about the latter, but I was nauseated with it one time). Because I also have gastric hypersensitivity..

PDS is the dutch equivalent of IBS (Prikkelbare Darm Syndroom). I didn't notice yet, I'll change it!!

Shelgirl, I think my flare up is caused by stress this time (first time I noticed stress is such a big trigger Although I do believe lots of stress in the past have made me develop it in the beginning + a couple of stomach flues/low immunity).
I recognise a bit you're describing about the C-like symptoms, although fat is not my trigger for that symptom I guess.

Before I also went back to my 'bell-pepper' (my former basic) diet after too much IF, but now I even can not get back to that.
So I guess I'll cut out all veggies for a few days (except banana) and hope I can add them back in a few days...??

But I'm really scared, cause it seems I'm just getting worse and worse with the diet. (Also doing hypnotherapy again)

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12236

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review