All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Frustrated
      #366041 - 09/08/11 08:41 PM
v123diaz

Reged: 08/31/11

Hello,
I'm trying to break the cycle of chronic constipation. I've already eliminated all fat out of my diet except for a small slice of avocado with lunch and dinner. I've been eating oatmeal, cut down on fresh fruits and veggies, and also eating things like yams, potatoes, rice cereal, sourdough bread, and small bits of mashed lentils and beans. I have also been eating chicken, egg whites and tofu (not all at once) for protein during meals. I drink fennel, peppermint and 1 cup of black tea in the morning. Can anyone please tell me should I avoid eating the protein and avocado until my body can have regular BMs? I exercise regularly and am a busy person so the protein and small amount of fat help me stay full, but my body still isn't having regular BMs and I'm getting frustrated. Any advice would be appreciated...I feel like I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be and not having results. Oh and I also take Acacia supplement.

--------------------
-Natalie
IBS-C & bloating, dairy free

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Frustrated new
      #366047 - 09/09/11 10:52 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi there, Syl asked you this in another post but it would be helpful to see what you're eating in a day. You shouldn't be eating totally fat-free, especially with constipation. Fat increases gastric motility, so it's essential to include some healthy fats (flaxseed oil, nut butter, avocado etc) into your diet.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#366048 - 09/09/11 12:39 PM
v123diaz

I eat oatmeal with a banana & almond milk, used 2 include a little peanut butter but I cut it out, thought may be contributing to C. Lunch is a trky sandwich, small side smashed lentils & pealed pear. For snacks I eat different things like sourdough bread, pealed yams, rice cakes & banana. Dinner is either grilled chicken, seafood, tofu or egg whites with small salad, avocado and of course baked potato or rice. I eat melon for desert. I thought too much fat wasnt good for constipation, so I havent been eating much of it. I must be doing something wrong.

--------------------
-Natalie

#366049 - 09/09/11 01:29 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Well, we're all different, but that diet would totally constipate me. Not enough insoluble fibre or fat. Also bananas can be constipating, might want to switch to someithing with more IF - I eat a cup of frozen blueberries on my oatmeal, that I warm up in the microwave. Also citrus can help with C, so maybe do 1/2 a grapfruit or orange for a snack intead of more banana.
Do you eat brown rice or white rice? I find white too constipating, I eat brown.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#366050 - 09/09/11 01:58 PM
v123diaz

Would you recommend adding back in a little peanut butter with oatmeal? What about an orange with almonds for an afternoon snack? I am interested in hearing more about what you eat for snacks since it looks like you suffer from C as well. What about smashed beans or lentils?

--------------------
-Natalie

#366053 - 09/10/11 06:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It seems from the postings on the board that IBS-C can take longer to stablise than IBS-D.

It is important not to remove protein from your diet. You need about 0.8 grams of protein per 1 kilogram body weight. If you are active you need a bit more. Fish, seafood and the white meat from poultry is IBS safe and shouldn't promote C.

It is important for you to get 20-25% of your calories from fat/oils. However, they are powerful GI stimulants too so want to be careful not to over do it. Also, a simple rule to remember is that 1 teaspoon of oil weighs about 5 grams and each gram of oil/fat contains 9 calories.

You need some insoluble fiber in your diet. However, it is best to avoid whole grains such as whole wheat. Some people can handle some things like brown rice. If you are going to try brown rice then mix is say 1/4 brown and 3/4 white to start. Also, eat a reasonable amount of fruits and veggies but peel the veggies and cook them well. Here is what Heather says.

Quote:

The second rule to remember here is that while you should be having lots of fresh fruits and veggies every day, make sure you cook, peel, chop, seed, dice, and/or puree most or even all of them. Peeling and seeding fruits and veggies will remove the toughest insoluble fiber altogether. Chopping, cooking, and pureeing will mechanically break down the insoluble fiber in fruits, vegetables, beans, and nuts before you eat it, making it much less likely to provoke problems .

Be very careful of raw veggies particularly salads. Here is what Heather says.
Quote:

Traditional green salads, a trigger food due to their high insoluble fiber content and typically oil-based dressings, are best eaten in small quantities and only at the end of meals, never on an empty stomach.

Have you looked at using the FODMAP approach to managing your IBS-C along with the EFI diet? It has been clinically shown to help up to 80% of individuals with IBS, including IBS-C. You can read more about in the first two links in my signature.

Have you tried the GUT directed hypnotherapy? It has also been shown to quite clinically effective for all IBS subtypes including IBS-C. Here is a interesting article from the University of North Carolina Center for Functional GI and Motility Disorders on Effects of Hypnosis on GI disorders.

Regular black tea contains caffeine which is a powerful GI stimulant. You might consider changing to a decaf or herbal tea.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366054 - 09/10/11 08:55 AM
v123diaz

Hello Syl,
I'm increasing my fats a little bit, because the very low-fat approach I tried last week didn't work. I added in a teaspoon of pb with my oatmeal this morning. I checked out the FOODMAP link you provided. It mentions avoiding pears, apples, wheat and HFCS as they may be triggers. I've been eating either a pealed apple or pear everyday with lunch, so maybe that's the problem. Can you please suggest other fruits to replace those? I am interested in hypnotherapy but can't afford it right now as I'm a student. Hopefully adding more IF will help me lose a couple pounds; it seems I've gained a bit of weight with my dietary changes and C.
Thannks so much for your help, I really appreciate it as I'm getting more frustrated about this problem.

--------------------
-Natalie

#366055 - 09/10/11 09:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you look at the table at the bottom of the page in the first link it give FODMAP friendly alternatives. So for fruit it lists bananas, blueberries, grapefruit, grapes, honeydew, lemons, limes, passion fruit, raspberries, strawberries, and tangelos. Oranges are also good.

Yes - the hypno CDs are a bit pricey for students. I wonder if they have a discount for students. It would be nice if they did. You might ask your GP if you can see a hypnotherapist experienced with the GUT directed technique. Perhaps it will be covered by health insurance.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 632 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3994

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review