All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Always Full
      #365936 - 08/26/11 11:27 AM
Pryordog1

Reged: 02/06/11
Loc: Texas

I have been using the fiber supplement for about 7 months now. Only 2 teaspoons a day. Anything more, and I was getting very bloated. Had been feeling pretty good. I try to eat GF also.

Lately, I eat just a little bit or nothing at all, and constantly feel full. Like I ate a 12 course meal. I wake up feeling full or bloated and the gas! That's another story. My doctor suggested Amitiza. But I have not tried after reading the potential side affects. I do get hungry, but feeling of fullness never seems to go away.

I am working on scheduling my colonoscopy, as I am due for one. Any suggestions for help in eliminating the full feeling? Thanks so much

--------------------
IBS-C
Suffering since 2005.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Always Full new
      #365953 - 08/31/11 09:02 AM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

When I am constipated I also feel very full (not bloated) and nauseous. My poo needs to have a certain softness, when it's a little bit too hard I feel the fullness..

It's been that bad that I could only eat 1/2 sandwich for breakfast & lunch.

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#365954 - 08/31/11 10:21 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Soluble fiber is a partial solution that does not work for everyone. And some soluble fiber can ferment rapidly in the colon producing gas and bloating. What soluble fiber are you using?

Are you eating GF because you have tested positive for celiac disease?

It would be helpful if you posted the meals and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days. It may give us some clues for suggestions.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365966 - 09/01/11 08:45 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Syl, just curious, is there a down side to eating gluten free? I've never been tested but eat gluten free because of recommendations that wheat is harder to digest, etc...but, always wonder if there are things I am missing in my diet by excluding gluten?

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#365967 - 09/01/11 09:00 AM
Syl

There is no downside as far as I know. As you know gluten is found in other grains such as rye and barley not just wheat.

Not sure that it can be shown that wheat or gluten, a protein, are hard to digest. In fact, I suspect white flour is quite easy to digest.

On the other hand wheat does contain 1-4% fructans by weight which are indigestible soluble fibers. However, they can be fermented by the bacteria in the colon to produce gas and bloating. Fructans are one of the five FODMAP groups that are known to exacerbate IBS symptoms in many individuals with functional GI disorders like IBS. It is recommended that individuals with IBS reduce the amount of wheat they eat and in some case eliminate it completely. However, unlike gluten problems many of the other grains don't have have high fructan content and they don't treated the same way. You can read more about them in the two links in my signature.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#365968 - 09/01/11 11:06 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

I read that rye has more tolerable fructans than wheat. What other grains are more tolerable? Which is most tolerable?

Cheers

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#365969 - 09/01/11 11:35 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Rice is the only grain that doesn't produce gas. Quinoa is not technically a grain but is a great grain substitute and high in protein and doesn't give me gas. I eat oats, brown rice and quinoa for my grains.

Is the fullness you feel from a full colon (gas/fecal matter) or from a full stomach? If your stomach isn't emptying fast enough, domperidone may help - although I'm not sure it's available in the US.

I took Amitiza for 2-3 months. The side effect of nausea went away after a couple of days. I didn't love it. It helped with constipation but didn't do anything for bloating.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#365970 - 09/01/11 11:35 AM
Syl

The second link in my signature is to a paper written by the researchers that developed the FODMAP approach. Notice in Table 1 it says under the "Oligosaccharides Polyols (fructans and/or galactans)" column it says "Cereals: wheat & rye when eaten in large amounts (e.g. bread, pasta, couscous, crackers, biscuits)". While there may be less fructans in rye it can still be a problem.

Under the low FODMAP alernative it says "Cereals: gluten-free & spelt bread/cereal products". And of course, oatmeal and rice.

--------------------

#365980 - 09/02/11 09:07 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Is there a difference in the "quality" of fructans as well as the quantity? This article suggests that rye fructans are more tolerated than wheat (in the table at the very end):

http://www.allergyassist.com.au/pages/Fructose-Malabsorption-and-FODMAP%E2%80%99s.html

Cheers

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#365981 - 09/02/11 10:01 AM
Pryordog1

Reged: 02/06/11
Loc: Texas

Sorry for not responding sooner. On top of everything, I have been battleling a stomache flu.

I was tested for Celiac disease and it came back negative. Although, I had been trying to eat gluten free for about a month prior to the test. Dtr. said that could impact results and also I could just have a wheat intolerance. So I try to make GF choices whenever possible.

I am taking 2 teaspoons of Heather's tummy fiber in the mornings. I have tried to increase slowly, but the gas got terrible. My breakfast usually consists of maybe a piece of GF toast with peanut butter, or GF cereal with coconut soy milk. Lunch I may have a corn tortilla with mustard, turkey meat and GF cheese or maybe a salad. Dinner varies. My meals yesterday since I was feeling better was piece of toast in morning, small bowl of vegetable soup for lunch, and grilled shrimp and sautéed vegetables for dinner. Drinking water throughout the day. After dinner last night my stomache was destined like I was ready to have a baby. Very uncomfortable.

Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. Trying things for 5 years now. Used to burp terrible. That has gotten better, but now the bloat has gotten worse. I'm afraid to eat. This morning was GF oatmeal, lunch piece of GF toast with little peanut butter.

Thanks so much

--------------------
IBS-C
Suffering since 2005.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1335 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4701

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review