All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Always more questions than answers....
      #365902 - 08/24/11 03:26 PM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I recently started seeing a new dr. who came highly recommended. She is an internist but adds alternative supplementation to her practice. My issues aside from the IBS that I've had all my life were that I've lost more weight after my husband went through a health crisis earlier this year. I am very underweight and this wasn't good. On my own, I couldn't seem to get things under control. It's not so much that I am running to the bathroom (which is an issue I've had) but rather just spasms(not painful but uncomfortable)all over my digestive tract which generally end up making me so nauseous I just can't eat or eat small amounts.

This doctor did a major series of blood tests (and a stool check for HPylori which was negative)and found I was deficient in alot of vitamins and my adrenal functioning was very low. She then gave me some vitamin supplements as well as supplements for my adrenals (DHEA and raw adrenal). Also included a different digestive enzyme and a B12 shot. This was all fine. But, then she gave me a diet to follow which blew my mind.

The diet basically was that I had to give up ALL grains (she said that all grains are difficult to digest and wanted to me stop.) My diet was to eat well cooked vegetables like carrots, potatoes, etc as well as meat (not pork) cooked in broth in a crock pot. In other words I could make a soup with this or eat as is. She told me I could have some banana but again had to be steamed or cooked nothing raw. I was suppose to stay on this diet until I gained some weight. My first question was how can I gain weight eating just soup. She said I was to add butter (organic) to the soup and that I could drink coconut milk which had good fat in.

Ok, well, I've tried this and nothing has changed (thankfully symptoms have not gotten worse). It has been about 3-4 weeks and I have not gained a pound. She now thinks I should have more stool testing to check for bacteria, etc...

As I said nothing has really improved (except that I do seem to have more energy probably from the adrenal support). I' still in a pattern of "feeling" food moving...sometimes upper chest, sometimes very low in front, sometimes right or left side, etc...It doesn't last forever but it's the terrible nausea that comes especially in the mornings....

I'm just getting extremely depressed as everywhere I turn someone is telling not to eat something and I really don't know what to do. I know when I first tried Heather's diet I had problems with eating all the bread, etc before the fibrous veggies kinda thing...I would get very very gassy and constipated and it was painful... I've really tried to balance things but, it's like a couple days ok and then back to the same symptoms...Would love to hear thoughts about any of this, especially the giving up all grains???

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Always more questions than answers.... new
      #365909 - 08/25/11 06:54 AM
shelgirl

OK...I realize I rambled on here and no one has responded so I will try to narrow down some questions. Thoughts about this idea that all grains can cause inflammation in the body and are more difficult to digest than other foods? Anyone with experience with gaining weight with IBS? What is the connection with the adrenal glands and IBS? Thanks.

--------------------

#365922 - 08/25/11 05:02 PM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

Hi Shelgirl,
SO SORRY to hear how bad you're feeling. I just had to post to tell you I'm thinking about you and will be praying especially for you over the next weeks as you're trying to get on top of things. It's a terrible feeling to be where you are- try to hang in there while you search for the things that will work for YOU.

I've never shared any of my "IBS story" on here, but I know that you eat GF like I do. I wonder if you ate according to Heather's rules, but just ate less of the breads since you said they bothered you. I'd be so afraid to start eating like this doctor has suggested because of how it strays from the basic "rules." (coconut milk or butter would kill me!) I know my system is really different from yours (I'm MAJORLY IBS-C), but it does make sense to me when Heather explains the way the diet works for BOTH types. I was scared at first because of the rice and bananas...I've avoided these all my life because of the severe "C." (I was lucky to have BM twice a week!!). I was so incredibly sick when I found this diet, but after reading the IBS book I determined to try it really faithfully for a whole year before looking elsewhere for help. I'm 3 months in, and I FINALLY feel like I'm getting things under control. I'm sticking to really plain ways of eating from the rules...many recipes still seem too risky for me (I get severe nausea like you!! It's AWFUL! I've thrown up nearly every month for 3 years, so I'm not willing to take ANY chances).

I know this may not be helpful to you at all, and I'm so sorry that I don't know how to help you. PLEASE let me know if you think I may have any GF/IBS recipes that you might want. Like I said- I'm pretty plain with eating for the next year, but it sure beats throwing up!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us updated on how you're doing. Don't be offended that no one has posted...sometimes I think we just don't know what to say to help. It doesn't mean no one cares!

Hang in there!! KellyJean

#365935 - 08/26/11 11:17 AM
shelgirl

Thanks so much KellyJean for the kind words....that in itself helps so much. Yes I do eat GF, never actually diagnosed but was told to avoid wheat and dairy too. Yes, it's difficult to go against the doctor but this is difficult....I actually have tried what she suggested and found that the coconut milk actually has not bothered me. Haven't done much with butter cuz that is another story! The worst part is that I have lost more weight just eating the soup, etc...and giving up the grains. I've added some grains (cereal in the morning) and am debating about other things because I HAVE to gain some weight!! Not sure about recipes but I also eat totally plain so we might be in sync on that one:) What kinds of things do you make? Yes, that nausea is terrible....I don't vomit but it takes alot of work not too!!! I just wish I could stop the terrible gas pains I have all over too!!

--------------------

#365937 - 08/26/11 01:36 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi Shelgirl,

Your post brought up a lot for me. I'm not sure whether what I have to say will apply to you, but for what it's worth: I have struggled with IBS for 15 years, but I've also been underweight for most of that time as well, and in my experience, the less you eat and the thinner you get, the worse the IBS is gonna get. Especially the cramping. I don't have nausea so I'm not sure about that. But starvation/malnutrition will definitely kill off the good bacteria in your gut, so that EVERYTHING will cause excessive gas. And diarrhea from malabsorption of fat is also common if your body isn't used to eating it.

For years, I saw a slew of naturopaths who prescribed a variety of very restrictive diets, even though I was obviously underweight. I've often thought of writing them to shake my finger at how unhelpful and even harmful they were.

You might want to see someone specialized in refeeding underweight patients. I don't trust this woman or the sounds of this diet. It takes a LOT of calories and a lot of eating to gain weight. Last year, at 85 lbs, eating less and less because I was always in so much discomfort and pain, and feeling worse and worse, I finally went into an eating disorder clinic (even though I wasn't sure I should be there), and put on a very traditional but high-cal diet - 3 meals, 3 snacks, probably around 3000 cals a day, which included wheat, dairy and red meat. And I felt better than I had in years. I was pretty bloated the whole time, but I was regular again - huge big BM every afternoon - and way less spasm.
I have since modified the diet a bit - I eat very little wheat now - my main grain is brown rice since it's gas free and easy to digest. And I chose lower-lactose dairy like hard cheese and goat dairy. I still have IBS but it's more manageable than it was last year.
I know that what I'm advocating is not Heather's diet, but I just don't think that adding butter to veggie soup is gonna cut it here. So you might want to consider tackling this from a totally different angle.
When I was in treatment, almost every girl in there was having GI issues - undereating definitely causes IBS-like symptoms. I still think that I will have IBS regardless of my weight, but I do know that keeping the weight up keeps it from worsening.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#365941 - 08/27/11 08:34 AM
shelgirl

Thanks Renee21 for your post....much food for thought!! You are so right about many things. It has become SO difficult for me to eat and my energy level most days is like zero. I'm never been much of a cook to begin with so I have had to learn alot, but, you add to that how exhausted I feel it just is so overwhelming!! I have tried to add more food to what I'm eating, but, my body just doesn't seem to be able to handle it and like I said everything hurts and I'm just so tired! I see you are from Canada. I can't imagine what it would cost here in the states to go to a clinic like you did, but, it sure sounds good. I can't tell you how often I think, if only I had someone to cook meals for me, maybe I could actually eat something. You must have experienced that weakness as well?? Did they give you supplements as well? What other foods do you eat on a regular basis? Do you eat gluten free?

--------------------

#365942 - 08/27/11 12:16 PM
renee21

Hi Shelgirl, the clinic I went to was actually in the US. Laurel Hill Inn, in Somerville, MA. I was very fortunate to have a generous relative pay my fees, but all the other women there were covered by their health insurance. I do have a history of eating disorders, so it's not enough to just be underweight in order to be admitted.
100% compliance was required at meals - we were given some options, but our meals had to contain a certain number of servings of protein, dairy, grains, veg/fruit, and fat. We had to finish every bite on our plate within a set amount of time. I think this was helpful for me - I could not have eaten enough food to gain 20 lbs in around 3 months if left to my own devices.
Yes, not eating enough and being underweight makes you listless and depressed. What is your BMI right now, if you don't mind me asking? It's amazing how much better I started to feel just by the act of eating and gaining weigh. It was euphoric. Food really is the best medicine.
Day-to-day I eat pretty much gluten free. My grain at breakfast is scottish oats, and I have brown rice for lunch and dinner, with protein and veggies. I still think wheat is bloating and constipating for me, but I am trying to be more flexible and relaxed about my eating, so I do eat it from time to time. I just had a couple Chips Ahoy!
I hesitate to give more detail on my daily diet on here, since it's not EFI. If you want to email me at luckym76@gmail.com, I'd have no problem talking more about this.

--------------------

Re: Always more questions than answers....TO SHELGIRL new
      #365994 - 09/03/11 05:51 AM
renee21

Hi Shelgirl, I emailed you a long message but it bounced back: "The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect".

--------------------

Re: Always more questions than answers....TO SHELGIRL new
      #365999 - 09/03/11 07:29 AM
shelgirl

RENEE21...just emailed you...let me know if you get it.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 269 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4644

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review