All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
LOL Why Does Baked Fish/Chicken Upset Me (UPDATE LAST POST HEATHER)
      #365880 - 08/23/11 08:38 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

I had a bad reaction to dinner last week.

Here was my dinner:

6-8 oz of Haddock (low fat fish) which was simply baked.
I put some bread crumbs on it (they were IBS safe ingredients), salt, pepper.
I sprayed the dish with pam, and baked it for 30 minutes, then broiled it for 15 minutes.

After eating, I felt bloated, distended, with trapped gas. Obviously this was a reaction to the fish.
I do not understand why this happened as this was a low fat meal cooked EFI safely.

It's frustrating to me because I really feel limited in what I can eat, and experiences like this only add.
I have been upset and wishing to relax of late more, but when I have to nights like this with a seemingly safe dish
Hence clearly while I would love for hypno to help, I'm baffled that a can of salmon or tuna would have been fine but baked haddock or cod causes such unpleasantness.
Is there any explanation as to why this is the case?

If it were 'mental' as hypno suggests, than why is it canned salmon or tuna doesn't cause this reaction?
If it's the diet, well in the past we could isolate things like 'fat' or 'high fiber', I can't see anything here chemically or nutritionally to explain it.

Question is, can you? If not, then why is it that I felt so bad and really, what can I do?
How would something like hypnosis help? Are you suggesting perhaps subconsciously my body has it where eating this dish is bad and automatically needlessly overreacts?

I'm just trying to figure out what went so wrong with tonight's dish as opposed to canned tune or salmon; this way I can avoid it in the future.

Let me say too, when I bake chicken, I have to cut off the top layer.
Not the skin, but the carmalized top layer. See I bake boneless chicken breasts, but even that can give me problems unless I "scalp" it.

This stuff drives me nuts! I cannot figure out why I get a reaction since if it's skinless, the top layer has no fat and is simply carmalization.

Is there any explanation as to why this bothers me OR are you folks this way, where you get problems from food which really should be 100% safe?

Edited by hudlander (10/16/11 09:08 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: LOL Why Does Baked Fish/Chicken Upset Me? new
      #365885 - 08/24/11 06:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

One might conclude that the symptoms are a result of the fish, however, it could be simply the process of eating not the fish that caused bloating, etc.

You might find this video interview with Dr. Whorwell, a world renowed GI doctor, on Diet, eating and IBS symptoms of interest.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366274 - 10/16/11 09:07 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

I wanted to give EVERYBODY a positive update.

Having baked/broiled or sauteed chicken, even cooked in NO fat, would cause me flare ups.
The outer crust or layer would lead to a lot of bloating.

However, when I ate canned chicken from a store, I was fine.
I decided then to attempt to poach my chicken.

Since then, I have not had problems.
So, I figured perhaps any IBSers who struggle like me could use this tip on poaching instead of baking/broiling/sauting their meat.

#366286 - 10/18/11 09:53 AM
som

Reged: 03/19/08

nice to hear a positive out come!our tummys are so strange sometimes!mine at the moment pretty much hates everything.I'm putting it down to stress but i love hearing good outcomes like yours!xx

#366303 - 10/20/11 02:23 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Isn't is possible that you are intolerant to the bread crumbs, i.e. wheat?

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Re: LOL Why Does Baked Fish/Chicken Upset Me (UPDATE LAST POST HEATHER) new
      #366762 - 01/29/12 09:53 AM
rebeccaneal

Reged: 01/29/12

Hi!

I just wanted to let you know that I get symptoms every time I have any decent sized portion of meat - chicken, fish, beef, whatever. I can handle small portions fine (which is what usually leads to me helping myself to a bit more then ending up feeling terribly bloated and uncomfortable for days after!).

I just concluded that it must be because animal proteins aren't the easiest thing to digest. I find it's worse if the meat is fatty, but lean doesn't mean totally safe.

Dairy is also one that I can have in small amounts but not standard size portions, is that the same for you?

It is maddening when there seems no logical explanation for symptoms, especially when you try so hard to keep things under control. I've been keeping a symptom diary on my computer so even if I feel ill I can log it and think maybe I can avoid it next time if I can spot a pattern.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 371 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4663

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review