All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and statins
      #365857 - 08/21/11 04:30 PM
crampy_michael

Reged: 08/21/11

I have not had anIBS flare up for over 2 years.

My doctor put me on statins and also high blood pressure tablets and out of the blue I have had a major attack, lots of D lots of mucus and a prolonged attack lasting a good 5 days now. I saw the doctor and she just said it was IBS no mention of the tablets.

Has anyone else heard of a link?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and statins new
      #365859 - 08/21/11 06:31 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Ask you doctor if it has GI side effects. For example, have a look at the Lipitor common side effects which include diarrhea and upset stomach.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365867 - 08/23/11 04:03 AM
crampy_michael

Reged: 08/21/11

Thanks

went to the docs they took me off statins and high blood pressure tablets. i have a history of IBS effected by tebalets, last time resulted in an overdue colonoscpy 2.5 years ago, all was fine.

Tummy still bad not taken tablet for 4 days now, no more D just crampy gassy and flat stools. I am now taking pep oil tablets and acacia.

any other advise to get back on track would be most welcome?

#366268 - 10/15/11 02:46 PM
nutritionistchris

Reged: 10/01/11

Quote:

I have not had anIBS flare up for over 2 years.

My doctor put me on statins and also high blood pressure tablets and out of the blue I have had a major attack, lots of D lots of mucus and a prolonged attack lasting a good 5 days now. I saw the doctor and she just said it was IBS no mention of the tablets.

Has anyone else heard of a link?

Hi Michael,
not sure if you did but you probably should have specifically asked if the tablets could cause symptoms like this in people. From my understanding it can but it is not 100% common in all people.
As a side note something i just read from a news release is this new 'smart pill' that takes photos of your stomach, scans your digestive system, takes measurements of pH level and emptying time etc.. really quite interesting. check out the daily mail article. probably a few years off but sounds ingenius
smart pill

Nutritionist Chris

--------------------
Foods to avoid with ibs

Nutritionistchris new
      #366270 - 10/15/11 08:02 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Are you speaking of the capsule endoscopy? My mom just had this done and it is much less envasive than any other procedure she has had done so far. She swallowed a large pill with a camera in it, which eventually works its way through the small intestine (which they were focused on, due to a bleed), and she had a monitor on her as it took the pictures. She wore it for a day, then took the monitor back, and that was all there was to it.

Or is this smart pill something else?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1086 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3424

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review