All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Interesting article on bloating
      #365754 - 08/07/11 07:42 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi all, wondering if any of you have thoughts about this article, re: bloating as a result of bacterial imbalance versus an intolerance to food, and whether the author's advice is sound.
How To Beat the Bloat

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

A few flaws in the article new
      #365755 - 08/07/11 08:20 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is an interesting article but it has a few flaws. For example the author says

Quote:

Yeasts that live in the gut thrive in the presence of refined sugars, fermented products such as alcohol and food containing yeast - notably bread. Yeasts also release gas which, in turn, causes bloating.

This may explain why, when people avoid wheat, they inevitably consume less yeast and in turn feel better. This leads them to mistakenly believe they have a wheat intolerance when, in fact, it was the yeast causing the problem.

The yeast in bread and other baked goods are killed when heated. The yeast in wine and beer dies as the alcohol increases during fermentation. There isn't any yeast in distilled spirits. Dead yeast cannot digest sugars to produce gas and bloating.

One reason some individuals experience bloating when they eat wheat products is the relatively high amount of fructans wheat contains. Fructans can be fermented in the colon to produce gas.

To complicate matters even more sometimes bloating in functional GI disorders can simply be the result of increase viseral sensitivity and not increase GI gas production.

It cannot hurt to remove foods that produce excess gas to help reduce bloating.

The UNC Center for Functional GI & Motility Disorders has an interesting article on Abdominal Bloating: A mysterious symptom that you may find interesting. Note yeast is not mentioned as a potential cause.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: A few flaws in the article new
      #365763 - 08/07/11 08:43 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

For me, most times foods with yeast, or a form of yeast, will cause me discomfort. I can always predict that after eating a processed food item that causes me discomfort, I'll look and find yeast (autolyzed extract or some other form) as one of the ingredients. Perhaps it is just that the the grains are feeding the already overgrowth of yeast in my system?? since yeast/fungus thrives on grains and sugar, or the mycotoxins in the grains (or alcohol) since both are mycotoxic foods. I know of others who tell me that bread products causes them to feel gassy and bloated.

#365764 - 08/08/11 07:20 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Not all yeasts (fungi/mould) produce mycotoxins. Baker's yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae ) used to make baked goods, grows on grapes and other fruits. It does not produce harmful mycotoxins. You can find a list of common mycotoxin producing fungi such as Aspergillus, Fusarium and Penicillium on this web page. Mycotoxins are removed from grains such as wheat after harvest and before food processing using a variety of methods .

While it is possible that wheat can give some individuals gas and bloating due to things like fructans it is not likely caused by the baker's yeast in bread and baked goods.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365766 - 08/08/11 05:04 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

From what I've been able to read, mycotoxins are still a real threat to our food supply as they cannot be thoroughly eliminated. When you consider that grains are also fed to animals and are used to make alcohol, mycotoxins can contaminate other foods, as well. I'd like nothing better than science to find a way to eliminate mycotoxins 100%.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 725 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5299

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review