All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How much fat is too much?
      #365653 - 07/26/11 07:00 PM
ella_d

Reged: 10/23/10
Loc: NS, Canada

I was just hoping someone could shed a little light on this issue for me. I have realized that for me (and I'm sure many others) that food items high in fat are a definite trigger for me (urgency and D). My question is, how much fat is too much? As a rule, I eat a relatively low-fat diet which is frustrating because I'm small already and didn't need to lose any weight in the first place, and it's virtually impossible to put any weight on in spite of the fact that I'm literally eating constantly, lol. (I'm 5'5", 115 lbs, just in case that makes answering my question easier).

I eat chicken burgers that have 7g/fat, and have eaten chicken burgers that have 13g/fat, neither of which bother me, yet once I had a blueberry muffin which had 11g/fat and found myself in the bathroom the next day. I use margarine with no problem, with a fat content of 7g/fat per 2 tsps, yet I had a few tasti-taters and some chicken nuggets (I can't recall how many g/fat were in each of these but I don't think it was overly bad) and was rushing to the bathroom half an hour later. There are other examples, these are just a few.

I know I've read somewhere before about the percentage of fat from calories being the thing to watch for (or something like that), but I can't quite grasp the concept of it. (I'm not sure if it's even related to what I'm asking!) It's all very confusing, but definitely worth trying to find out about.

Thanks for any feedback!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How much fat is too much? new
      #365655 - 07/26/11 11:42 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

It depends on your own sensitivity (hate to say it).

With me, I go very low fat, 25% MAX of calories being fat per meal.

#365658 - 07/27/11 04:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Heather says "your fat intake to 20% - 25% of your total calories, and make your fats count. They should be monounsaturated and contain essential fatty acids, so choose fat sources such as olive oil, canola oil, avocados, finely ground nuts, fatty fish, flax oil, etc. Because all fats, even heart-healthy choices, are still potential IBS triggers"

1 gram fat/oil = 9 calories
1 tsp fat/oil = 5 grams fat/oil = 5*9 = 45 calories.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365670 - 07/27/11 04:55 PM
ella_d

Thanks for your help, guys. I *think* I get it now. So if I had an oatmeal muffin that I made at home, from a mix which has 2.5 g/fat and 150 calories it would be 2.5 x 9/150 = 15% of calories from fat? And does this rule count for just one food item or if you double, or triple it up (aka eat more than the serving size). For example, if I had another muffin, would it be 30% of calories from fat, therefore dangerous, or do they not accumulate? I have a lot to learn still and I appreciate those know who helping me out!

#365671 - 07/27/11 05:44 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you had two muffins then the total calories would be 300 and the muffins would contain 5 grams of fat and since 5*9 = 45/300 = 15%. The percentage remains the same because the calories double and the number of grams of fat doubles.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365672 - 07/27/11 06:49 PM
ella_d

Oh, true Syl, I never thought about the calories doubling as well! (This is a good thing since I just had 3 muffins, haha). Thanks so much for answering my questions, you made it so simple and it will definitely help me with my battle of figuring out which foods to eat. I appreciate it!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3022 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3161

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review