Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Vegan diet new
      #145294 - 02/01/05 01:06 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi retrograde!

What do vegans eat? If you don't mind my asking?

Thanks!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about carb cutter phase 2 for Heather new
      #145302 - 02/01/05 01:32 PM
Snow for Sarala

((till))

what an interesting post!

I find that sugar is the BIGGEST culprit when it comes to weight gain (along with it's good friend fat)

When you eat carbs...do you include sugar in that category? I don't just mean the white stuff...ANY old sweetner will do. Rice syrup, whatever. Any sweet thing can trick your bod into thinking it's getting sugar (I can't even have Stevia anymore!) My blood sugar is TOTALY out of whack...and the sweet stuff make me gain like crazy. Just something to think about.

Anyhow...looks like you got tons of replies! Lots of great info. from everyone. Hope you decide what's best for you, good luck!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Vegan diet new
      #145384 - 02/01/05 04:32 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hey Ruchie!

Vegans are like ultra-vegetarians in that they don't eat any animal products at all. So no meat, plus no dairy and no eggs. Some don't eat honey either because it comes from bees!

I'm not a vegan, though while I was vegetarian for a while, and since I already don't have dairy the only thing keeping from being a vegan was the occassional egg white!

Cheers, Laurel.

#145389 - 02/01/05 04:39 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Laurel!

Btw, what does your name mean? It's beautiful!

If you eat fish, are you considered a vegetarian by some standards? I've heard people that eat fish refer to themselves as vegeterarians?!

I was a veget. for 5 years when I was in high school/college. I was much healthier then! I'm not giving up fish or egg whites...but the rest I can do without.

Anyhow, thanks for the info! P.S. Do you find it healthy? What do you do for protien (I'm trying to lose wieght at the moment)? In addition to beans and soy, what do you recommend?

Thanks again!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#145400 - 02/01/05 05:12 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Ruchie-

There are people who eat fish and call themselves vegetarians, sometimes they call themselves pescetarians to denote the difference. However, within the vegetarian community people who eat fish or chicken and call themselves vegetarians are strongly frowned upon. For one thing, it confuses the general population as to what actual vegetarians eat or not eat- I hate it when I go to a restaurant and ask what the vegetarian options are and they offer me fish!

I have no problem with people who eat only fish, there are certain health benefits and maybe they feel differently than I do on the morality of it- I just don't understand why they feel they need to label themselves something they're not.

So there's my go at an explanation!

#145411 - 02/01/05 05:57 PM
retrograde

Good answer chinagrl. Yep, some people call themselves vegetarians and eat fish but I don't know... I don't consider myself vegetarian/vegan/whatever any more as I do eat a fair amount of fish, and egg whites (plus I indluge in the occassional chicken breast, and turkey at thanksgiving!)

Still I do find it (especially when I was more strict with it) MUCH healthier and would love to get back ot it. Protein is not really as big an issue as most people think with the vegetarian diet either. With legumes (yes I do eat lots of beans and soy), vegetables and grains (especially if you can handle some whole grains, like oatmeal or brown rice, depending on your ibs of course, as these are higher in protein) you can *easily* get all the protein you need. And if you're trying to lose weight you don't want to be pounding on the protein anyway, right?

I say go for the diet you feel healthiest on and don't worry about labels. Eat fish and egg white but cut back on other things like meat and poulty, watch your ibs etc... whatever works for you. And if someone asks 'what you are', well if they want to stay and listen then you can explain it to them! LOL!

Cheers, Laurel.

PS 'Retrograde' is just something that's inverted or reversed; I actually got the term from astronomy, where it refers to a planet moving in the opposite orbital/axial direction of other planets around it... Oh wait, did you mean Laurel? lol... I'm not quite sure what that means. I believe it's a plant, I know they used it as victory crowns in ancient Greece...

ChinaGirl and Retrograde new
      #145491 - 02/01/05 08:00 PM
Snow for Sarala

I agree totaly! I never understood it either.

I don't know how vegans do it! I was vegetarian...but without dairy (at the time) and eggs I don't think I could've done it. Esp. cause my parents thought I was crazy enough to begin with and finally talked me back into eating meat again *sigh*

Anyhow...at this point I just want to be healthy and give my bod what it needs to succeed Chicken is for sure out. Red meat is going too. Dairy's already gone. Now it's just turkey (we'll see how it does) and fish left!

I would NOT call myself a vegetarian though...unless I gave up the fish and turkey. I always looked at it as nothing with a face.

Anyhow...that's my sotry and I'm stickin to it

Thanks for all the help!

*hugs*

P.S. Thanks for the explanation of your name"s" Laurel I think it's cool you chose such a scientific name for your SN and I think Laurel is just beautiful (not that you chose that one I'm guessing) And thanks for the advice on just doing what's healthy for me and not worrying about a label. And I like that line about having them wait around for me to explain my "unlabeled" diet LOL

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

No problem Ruchie! Glad I can be of some help! -nt- new
      #145502 - 02/01/05 08:53 PM
retrograde

#223334 - 11/05/05 03:01 PM
Gold

Reged: 10/19/05
Loc: London

Kshsmon
I feel im in the same situation as you were when you first started turning to carbs (b4 this i hadnt eaten white pasta bread or rice for yeaers!_ and since I have a put on a couple of pounds and am starting to panic that my IBS wil get better but my weight gain will get worst. Did you have to cut down ALOT on portion size when you started to lose the weight and did you have to excercise like crazy? If you have the time letting me know how much working out you did and the sort of things you ate on a daily basis would be a massive help!!
Thx

#223347 - 11/05/05 05:48 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It is also important to note that CARBS are higher in water than protein, therefore one must keep in mind the weight of water.

Carbs/SF attract fluid to the colon and actually help you retain fluid. (I suspect that's why they are so filling for so few calories.)

So, I wouldn't worry too much about a few pounds.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1823 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18106

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review